Gigabyte GA-7NNXP or Asus A7N8X Deluxe

jonifen

pffff...
A mate of mine has the pick of one of these mobos... but neither him or me has any idea which to go for.

He's currently got a Gigabyte GA-7VA (which will be replaced by whichever of these he picks) with 2800+ Barton, 1024mb Corsair XMS and a ti4600.

Anybody got good ideas which would be best? Personal experiences with them would be good to read, and if anyone has any factual info on them, plz post that up too :)

Thanks.

Edit
Just read this... http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39722
Seems like the gigabyte is in favour so far...

I've seen complaints about both boards. Really bizarre stuff. HDs don't get recognized, video won't come up at all, etc. Most seem to get worked out. I would not let the posts on problems defer you. 10 problems out of 10's of thousands of boards is nothing and most of those seem to turn out as operator error.

A friend of mine just got the A7N8X-X (cheapo version of the deluxe, no raid, no SATA). He could not get his gainward ge4-4800 to even show boot screen on it. He then tried the ge4 on another 333 FSB MB (PCCHIPS VIA) same result. Card runs great on 4 different 266 FSB MBs His ancient GE2 GTS works on both 333 FSB systems. He decided life was to short to screw with it so he got a radeon 9600 pro and everything is working great now. I mention this since your buddies looking at the ti4600. I suspect the problem was due to an overclocked video card but can't prove it (the gainward is factory overclocked and we couldn't find a way to change the default to normal speedsbefore he gave up).
The 4600 should be ok.

My experience with gigabyte was ok except that they abandoned the board design very fast. It should have been upgradeable to 333 FSB but they had selected a limited clock chip. It also won't let me overclock my XP2000 because of limited bios support. The ASUS designs from the same time frame were upgradeable to 333 FSB and overclock friendly. ASUS wins hands down on the designing for the future category.

Gigabyte dual bios is a nice lifesaver. Click the mosue and a trashed bios gets replaced by the backup one already in ROM. Sweet for flashing mistakes.

Both boards offer good stability. The ASUS will have better overclock and tweak features and probably better long term upgrade support.

The gigabyte manual seemed more user friendly than the ASUS. But then there were a lot less features to explain in the Gigabyte.

I'd personally go with the ASUS or an ABIT NF7-S (it has not been slammed within my hearing and is feature rich) if you can add it to the possibles list.

PS There are a couple gigabyte threads with horror stories in the forums also.

Well, I've only seen one complaint on the Gigabyte GA 7NNXP, but more than 10 on all versions of the Asus A7N8X boards.

I'd go for the Gigabyte one since I've never had any problems with the three different mobos I've had in recent years. Another thing is that Gigabyte packs lots of features into their mobo's, including Dual LAN, DPS (Dual Power System), Firewire, Dual Bios and NVidia nForce2.

Never had a single problem with my A7N8X Deluxe (Original Hardware Revision) .

JJB

I to have had great success with my A7N8X-DX...

The problem is that this motherboard is one of the best selling motherboards ever. So the more people with the motherboard, the more people with problems...

If Asus sells 100 motherboards. and 1 in every 10 people have a problem that's 10 people

if Gigabyte sells 50 motherboards, and 1 in every 10 people have a problem, that's only 5 people.

Doesn't mean the Gigabyte has better quality, just means they sold less....

I like my asus, and would buy another...

although I do suggest you take a look at the Abit NF7-S... I'd buy it before the gigabyte... I have never liked Gigabyte... They don't keep BIOS support with their mobos long...

With DualBios, do you really think there is a need for support on it?

thanks for your opinions guys... like I said, I'm asking for a mate as he's looking to upgrade his existing gigabyte mobo (which hes very pleased with, he's heard good things about the nforce2 chipset and would like to get best performance possible (without overclocking preferably - but may be a choice in future)).

I've got a gigabyte myself on my system, very good mobo I reckon - enough features with it (a few of them I'll never use tbh, but still...). I've had a few bad experiences with Asus (well, the experiences were with scan.co.uk really - took ages to replace it etc) but the time it took to sort it was enough to put me off asus because the mobo was dead in the first place.

I'll tell my mate to av another look at the asus before making up his mind for definite.

Well I wont bash ASUS, But I wont BASH Gigabyte I have the G7NNXP and its by far the fastest and most stable board I have ever had the pleasure to work with, I built an ASUS board last wek for my friend and he is also very pleased with that , and as for bios's when it is working what need is there of a new bios? Sorry but either one of the boards you are looking at would be a good board, Oh in passing the G7NNXP was a LIMITED edition name says it all, they never abandoned they made the G8NNXP for the 64 bit, this is my 2nd Gigabyte board and I have always found them to be overall very stable and very easy to work with, but again I have also had good ASUS boards, so thats my 2 cents :)

Newer BIOSes often add features, increase peformance, and keep up compatibiltiy. The Gigabyte board is not problem free, nor is the Asus, but Asus seems to do a better job at fixing the problems.

Originally posted by Goatman
Newer BIOSes often add features, increase peformance, and keep up compatibiltiy. The Gigabyte board is not problem free, nor is the Asus, but Asus seems to do a better job at fixing the problems.

When I got this MOBO it was F9 bios 3 monthes later its F15 thats not a bad update scale :)

Kermit

So your proud that gigabyte screwed up 6 times in 3 months. I'd get fired for that kind of performance...

no, he's proud that they made 6 BIOS updates. Motherboards are complex pieces of the PC, there is often many bugs in them, sometimes the bugs are as little as the voltage on the +12V not being shown correctly. Sometimes they are major problems fixed. Each BIOS update usually has many bug fixes in them. Some of them just overclock better...

Originally posted by LeeJend
Kermit

So your proud that gigabyte screwed up 6 times in 3 months. I'd get fired for that kind of performance...

Guess you feel that new bios's are screw up's were as some see it as an inprovement, now seeing as each bios worked and each enabled some either fixes , more options I don't see it as a screw up, but anyways best part is I never put down ASUS but because I say Gigabytes G7NNXP is a good board, it turns into I am so proud, its ok to each his own, forget that I mentioned Gigabyte go get what Lee has its the best and he is proud so proud he feels the need to bash another brand name LOL

I'm running the next board up from the G7NNXP, I have the GA7N400 Pro 2, it's a very stable board and is also a good over clocking board too. Has all the features the likes of Asus and Abit boards don't.

Originally posted by Doctor Who
I'm running the next board up from the G7NNXP, I have the GA7N400 Pro 2, it's a very stable board and is also a good over clocking board too. Has all the features the likes of Asus and Abit boards don't.

Yours is the second rev of the 400pro which is the baby sister to the G7NNXP the one up from mine is the G8NNXP yours is the 2nd baby sisiter :) it has less features then mine not bragging or being proud.

:)

Originally posted by Kermit
Yours is the second rev of the 400pro which is the baby sister to the G7NNXP the one up from mine is the G8NNXP yours is the 2nd baby sisiter :) it has less features then mine not bragging or being proud.
:)

LOL

Hey, do you use the DPS on the 7NNXP board? I'm wondering how it works. :cool:
I'm jealous now, coz I got my friend the 7N400Pro board while I'm with the 7VRX. :p
I'll just have to wait 'til summer 2004/5 for the BTX boards to come out before I do any upgrading to my system.

Yes I use the DPS and it runs very well I know that no matter what board we end up buying its always a bit of a crap shoot in the sence that all boards can have some kind of problem, and I dont think the perfect board will ever be made, but I am very pleased with this board and again I will state that the asus board mentioned above is also a good board and the abit is ok as well, I guess its just a matter of what $ you want to spend and what features you want to have.........

one thing confusing me here... DPS?? plz explain :p

So how does the 7N400 Pro2 compare to the 7NNXP? You say baby sister (is that better or worse... I'd say its worse but am asking anyway to be sure - I say worse as in it being the lesser model)

Well, I haven't had a problem with my Asus board. I love it. Plus newegg has refurbished Asus A7N8X Deluxe boards for $69 shipped. That's a nice price for the board.

Originally posted by jonifen
one thing confusing me here... DPS?? plz explain :p
Dual Power System (DPS)
With the Voltage Regulator Module (VRM), the Dual Power System delivers a total of 6-phase power circuit design to provide more solid and durable power supply for the new generation AMD platform.

the vrm is a seperate card with some power circuitry and it's own fan [so, extra noise] that pops in right near the cpu. you can see the slot on a lot of gigabyte's newer boards. i've heard good and bad things about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back