Gigabit lan showing 100Mb now.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

I am wondering why my giglan connector on my mobo was @ 1gig, now it is showing 100mb. This is on the "status" popup of my network connections, Vista machine.

The mobo is a Asus M2A-VM.

How do I get it back to 1gig? I have tried to select 1gig full duplex in the advanced tab of the properties page and updated drivers as well.

This machine is connected to a gig lan network, with gig switches.

Thanks,

Heeter

Perhaps try another cable and/or port on the switch?

are they netgear gigabit switches by any chance? (gs605/gs608)?

if so they are trash... only way to get back to 1gb is to power off the switch and power on again.

Hey, thanks for the replies

They are not netgears, they are dlinks

I have tried different switches, and ports on the switches, to no affect.

The cable built into the wall, so I will have to move the tower closer to the switch to test for the cable.

Will update in a bit,

Heeter

k.. i had similar problem a while back occasionally the link would only start as 100mb... exchanged the netgear switch, but same problem.. so got a refund and got a dlink, and problem solved..

have you tried upgrading the ethernet card drivers? or even re-installing current drivers?

good luck!

(oh and is the cable cat5e/cat6?)

Also a good idea to verify that the firmware on the DLINK is current. If you plug another PC into that particular desk (utilizing cable in wall), does it suffer the same issue?

sounds like it was previously connecting at 1gbps, so i assume that he perhaps changed the cable? i doubt its any switch issue, could be your internal nic, but again i doubt it as it would just not work, do you have another you could test mayhaps.

Check out the NIC. I have a NIC in one of my machines, a D-Link DGE-530T that would clash with interrupts with another device (SCSI controller) and would set it self to a lower speed because it was not able to push the packets up to the OS fast enough.

Try moving the card from one slot to another.

If this is an onboard GigBit card, well there is your problem :p

Edit:

After reading up a bit about the motherboard in question, it seems there are some issues with the RealTek 8168/8111B PCIe Gigabit Ethernet chipset it uses, and there are even cases where the onboard NIC does not work entirely, the OS will see it, but it just won't enable it what so ever.

Hey Guys, Thanks for your input.

I have checked the cable that runs though the wall, it is a Cat5e.

Since the switch is in anotherpart of the building, I found it easier to bring the switch here beside this machine.

Plugging directly to the switch using a different cable, the network card goes back to 1gig.

So it must be the cable running through the wall that is the problem.

Could a bad wire burn up routers?

Heeter

Since the switch is in anotherpart of the building, I found it easier to bring the switch here beside this machine.

Plugging directly to the switch using a different cable, the network card goes back to 1gig.

Heeter

Even if you short wires of a Cat5 cable it won't do a whole lot. Most switches have protection build in to just turn the port off. If you really think the cable is bad, then I suggest running a new one, and at least not using it. It could be caused by something entirely different, especially if it is run within the walls (certain types of animals like to eat plastic/rubber. Having lived in Switzerland, you get used to having to get new hoses, and some new coolant since they eat them).

Even if you short wires of a Cat5 cable it won't do a whole lot. Most switches have protection build in to just turn the port off. If you really think the cable is bad, then I suggest running a new one, and at least not using it. It could be caused by something entirely different, especially if it is run within the walls (certain types of animals like to eat plastic/rubber. Having lived in Switzerland, you get used to having to get new hoses, and some new coolant since they eat them).

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't know what small, furry animals lurk in these walls.

Heeter

Heeter

When you say plugged directly into the switch with a different cable, does that mean you are bypassing the cable in the wall (duh) as well as the cable that used to run from the workstation to the wall? If that's the case, it could also or only be the cable running to the wall. Try that one? If I misunderstood, sorry :D

NP, KC

The cable that is being used from workstation to wall plug was the one that I used when I moved the switch in here for testing.

The section that starts at the wallplug and runs through the wall connects directly to the first switch (the switch moved, used for testing, then put back.) is the culprit.

Sorry, my fault for not explaining better.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back