Ghost Problem

B

Bob S

I periodically make Ghost backups of all my hard drives. Here's a problem maybe someone knows the answer to.

When I do the backup of my XP Pro NTFS drive, Ghost reads the size wrong. When it is 100% done it needs to continue to run for another 40%. It registers this overage and the time remaining goes into negative numbers. When it is done, it is fine. Note that my W2000 Pro drive does not do this.

Norton does not know the answer, of course. This is Norton 2002 Ghost, which is compatible with XP.

Any know how to correct or even the reason for this strangeness?

I know, but I still want to know why it will not recognize size. Like I said, it is not due to the NTFS format, but to due to something about XP. Windows 2000 does not have this glitch.

Wondering Why!

Bob

does Ghost make an Image of your whole hard drive or just the data section. I am wondering as I want to make an image of my C drive which is 20GB. I only want to make an image of the data and not the whole drive. The reason I dont want to make a whole drive image is that I want to put it on a CD or CDs but Ghost tells me that it will need 21 discs to make an image of my drive and I dont want to use that many.

It is the whole drive. By my calculation, you are using 14 gig. You can make a whole drive image using compression. This ought to reduce the discs needed considerably. Also, if you do this, do not forget to invoke auto-spanning and auto-naming.

Also, on CD's I have been told that it is dificult to restore just certain files. You would need to restore the whole thing. I have ghosted to CD's before, with success, but to invest a little money in a cheap backup drive is much faster and would pay for itself in just a few images.

I have a 20 Gig drive. With only 6 Gig on it. I want an imaging Program that will only image the Data.

Anyone know if an ASR on a CD with a floppy boot image would work to do this.

Not so Bob S. Ghost provide a "Ghost Explorer" in which you can view the entire image. You can drag and drop individual files or you can "right click" them and extract to any folder or original location. I also have a 20g disk and because it is quite new still I have only used four point something gig and by using "High Compression" I can Ghost to 3 disks. I Ghost to CD-RWs (always fully erased, never fast erase) and I have never had a failure yet.
Also Ghost does not include "unused" space in the image.

Ewen...this I know! I was saying that the original copy is of the whole disc (used portion). If you have been able to drag and drop from a CD, great. I am only going by what I have read.

regardless, this thread has not given an insite into my original problem, see above.

Thanks,

Bob S

Ewen, are you sure it only does the used space. If so then why did it say it would need 21 discs.

I use Ghost 2002 to image my drives regularly and it always says it's going to take a lot more CD's than it winds up using, even without compression. It only images the data as I have imaged a 9 GB partition with 3 GB of data and restored it to a 4 GB partition with no problems.

gtgarside... I am quite sure... my disk is 20gig... I have only used 4.3gig and when i start the process the programme always says "Approximately 6 Disks will be required" and it always uses less. If I remember correctly the "From and To" statement before you start the write shows the disk size as something like 19042. I notice that Waldo has the same result as me.

OK, got it from two peeps so I will give it a go, I think I will get some CD-RWs before hand though.

Originally posted by Ewen
gtgarside... I am quite sure... my disk is 20gig... I have only used 4.3gig and when i start the process the programme always says "Approximately 6 Disks will be required" and it always uses less. If I remember correctly the "From and To" statement before you start the write shows the disk size as something like 19042. I notice that Waldo has the same result as me.

Where does it say how many discs you will need?

it doesnt on mine, it just warns me that NTFS partitions will mean there will be excessive disc-swapping when using ghost explorer (which i dont use anyway).

it told me right after I chose the compression type. I never got anything about Ghost Explorer, I have Ghost 2002.

Ghost Explorer is part of Ghost2002.

When you run Ghost2002 its in dos, (from bootdisks).. Gost Explorer runs in windows, and does like others have said (allows you to see your backup and select files from it if you wish)

I know about Ghost Explorer, I was saying that I didnt get the message Daedalus talked about.

Q: Is Ghost Explorer Exclusive to Ghost 2002 or has it been in previous versions as well.

Ghost Explorer is in other versions. I remember it is 2001 and I think 2000. The key is that only the version in 2002 and higher are compatible with XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back