Gffx 5200

dubstar

format c:
GFFX 5200 seems to be in my ~100 price range.. is this a good graphics card? it says it supports DX9 which i know is good, but other than that, i dont know too much about graphics cards..

Originally posted by dubstar
GFFX 5200 seems to be in my ~100 price range.. is this a good graphics card? it says it supports DX9 which i know is good, but other than that, i dont know too much about graphics cards..

it's Geforce 4 MX in FX skin..it wont give that much.get geforce 4 ti instead

can you recomend a video card for a mild gamer, only plan on playing Diablo II lod, and maybe Sims, possibly Rollercoaster Ty****, and others from the Ty**** series...

ps, you did steal hats (if you remember the tread :D )

edit: cant say c*o*o*n huh.. racial term im guessing?

the FX 5200 is better then the geforce 4 4200 (the only other card in the same price range) 4400 and 4600 are from 200 to 300 bucks and don't support direct X 9+ (FX is out of spec in a good way)

you can get the 4200 off pricewatch for about 120 bucks plus shipping.
you can get the 5200 128meg for 80 plus shipping

its your choice ultimately but I would go for the 5200 since it has the speed of a 4200 and has more features.

3DGPU

"This is where the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra comes in. At $149.99 MSRP, it's priced to attract those who want a good card for their money without breaking the bank. With the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, you're getting a lot of card for gaming. It plays most of today's games superbly, and in some cases, allows you to turn on FSAA and anisotropic filtering. The addition of DirectX 9 compliance is a nice bonus too, although by the times those come out, the 5200 Ultra might not have the horsepower to do those kind of games justice. Overall, it's an impressive card for the money, and I imagine it'll become the next mainstream gamer's favorite card as the GeForce2 and GeForce4 MX is now."

running my 550mhz K7 right now, would it be ok to buy this card, and upgrade the board later.. or should i upgrade the board, and keep my (yuck) TnT2 Pro 64mb ?

Originally posted by Krux
"The addition of DirectX 9 compliance is a nice bonus too, although by the times those come out, the 5200 Ultra might not have the horsepower to do those kind of games justice.
this is the catch. and keep in mind that that review is for the ultra... dubstar is considering the non-ultra.

if you ask me, it's pointless to get a dx9 card if it's going to be so slow. d2, sims, and the ty**** series are all dx6 or dx7 games. the card will certainly struggle at any dx9 games.

but $80 for the card isn't bad, i suppose. i think it's faster than a gf4 mx440 and almost the same price. and if the card has trouble playing future 3d games, just turn down the resolution and turn on some fsaa and it should be okay.

Originally posted by Krux
the FX 5200 is better then the geforce 4 4200 (the only other card in the same price range) 4400 and 4600 are from 200 to 300 bucks and don't support direct X 9+ (FX is out of spec in a good way)

you can get the 4200 off pricewatch for about 120 bucks plus shipping.
you can get the 5200 128meg for 80 plus shipping

its your choice ultimately but I would go for the 5200 since it has the speed of a 4200 and has more features.

3DGPU

"This is where the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra comes in. At $149.99 MSRP, it's priced to attract those who want a good card for their money without breaking the bank. With the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, you're getting a lot of card for gaming. It plays most of today's games superbly, and in some cases, allows you to turn on FSAA and anisotropic filtering. The addition of DirectX 9 compliance is a nice bonus too, although by the times those come out, the 5200 Ultra might not have the horsepower to do those kind of games justice. Overall, it's an impressive card for the money, and I imagine it'll become the next mainstream gamer's favorite card as the GeForce2 and GeForce4 MX is now."

hmm... from what I have read and seen from actual users of this product.. it compares.. sometimes poorly to the gf4mx series...

not to say it is a bad card but I have not seen it outperforming the gf4 ti series in any meaninful benches... especially not any involving playable frame rates..

overall it is a budget card and there are better cards than it for similar prices.. ie the gf4 ti series or the ati radeon 8500/9100 series...

the card falls into the BUDGET category as of right now.. hence I can;t see it becomng a mainstream card anytime :D

I do not recommend AA or FSAA personally for any cards below the level of the gf FX 5600ultra or ati radeon below the 9500pro cards... it is pointless... the frame rate's are unacceptable unless it is really low res and thats not really worth it..

gf4 ti series cards have decent AA and FSAA performance in some games @ decent resolutions... not so good in others..

should i go for the
RADEON™ 9000 SERIES (9000 Pro 128)
RADEON™ 8000 SERIES (8500 Pro 128)
RADEON™ 7000 SERIES (7500 128)
or GeForce4™ TI 4200 128MB for a little more

should i go for the
RADEON™ 9000 SERIES (9000 Pro 128)
RADEON™ 8000 SERIES (8500 Pro 128)
RADEON™ 7000 SERIES (7500 128)
or GeForce4™ TI 4200 128MB for a little more

from those choices... the ti4200...

Originally posted by Sazar
from those choices... the ti4200...

what would you get with 100 bucks Sazar? i trust your sometimes freakish knowlege of hardware.:D

what would you get with 100 bucks Sazar? i trust your sometimes freakish knowlege of hardware.:D

just wait if you want something good like TI series.The prices will drop down soon,you might see the ATI 9700pro for $250 and Geforce TI to 150 just wait if you want a crad that last for at most 2 years..geforce FX 5200 is a 6 months card:cool:

you overestimate my judgement :D

if I could.. for $100 I would get the radeon 9100 series card... the 128mb version... readily available for around $80-90...

for a few more you can get the gf4 ti 4200 which I recommend more... :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back