GF FX - case of the mysterious traingle disappearance

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I've been looking @ the official release sites of the GF FX...

for some reason they have changed their figures from 350 million triangles per second rendered to 200 million

example...

200 million ?

350 million?

only thing I can think of is that the pr department said 3 times the performance of the ti4600... and therefore was correlated to being 350 million...

here is the problem with this...

the r300 based 9700pro renders 325 million triangles per second...

go figure...

if it is the case as is and the gf FX ships with 200 million triangles per second.. that is ~60-65% of the 9700pro's...

i can't see an argument being made about the card doing cinematic rendering without the capability of rendering triangles...

sure it can have more efficient alogorithms and what not... but picture quality and high resolution rendering... AA and FSAA... everything is likely to suffer unless optimized specifically....

the pics are courtesy of BentValve from the rage3d forums...

hmm...

some peopel are stating that the 350 M triangles should be 350 M vertices...

oh well... :)

I have been seeing 'triangles' at all the sites I have seen... a typo by everyone? perhaps... everyone is basing their info on the same source...

:)

neither will utilise the full number of triangles... thats a fact BUT still the r300 is left with a far bigger lead in the triangle department over the gf FX than I expected...

well, that's awful cheap for the fx, from the numbers i've seen tossed around. it's the same price as the 9700pro. so it might some kind of lesser gfx...?

i'm not really worried til i see some from asus, chaintech, leadtek, etc. not bfg :huh:

Originally posted by taurus
well, that's awful cheap for the fx, from the numbers i've seen tossed around. it's the same price as the 9700pro. so it might some kind of lesser gfx...?

i'm not really worried til i see some from asus, chaintech, leadtek, etc. not bfg :huh:

no one has yet hinted... incl nvidia... that there is infact another version coming out...

early rumours suggested otherwise but current info may indicate this is it..

<note>People, please don't post images as BMP. Use GIF or JPEG. I can live with BMP since I have broadband, but modem users don't want to download 1MB image files.</note>

It only took me about 30 sec. - a min. to download that .bmp.... and i've got a 28.8 connection... or something like that.... but i agree.... jpg's are way better than bmp's for posting.

Originally posted by Sazar
I've been looking @ the official release sites of the GF FX...

for some reason they have changed their figures from 350 million triangles per second rendered to 200 million

the r300 based 9700pro renders 325 million triangles per second...

go figure...

if it is the case as is and the gf FX ships with 200 million triangles per second.. that is ~60-65% of the 9700pro's...

i can't see an argument being made about the card doing cinematic rendering without the capability of rendering triangles...

sure it can have more efficient alogorithms and what not... but picture quality and high resolution rendering... AA and FSAA... everything is likely to suffer unless optimized specifically....

good thing i dont look at triangles all day:p
<--------Drunk

My mate at nVidia also slipped out about the nv35, but wouldn't tell me when it was coming out - or any other info about it other than it wouldn't experience the same delays as the nv30, 31 and 34.

On some of the forum's I've been reading they are saying the lower triangle rate is due to a slower clockspeed than planned/expected. But we'll see when it come out, how it performs... I'm sorry to say if it isn't the barn burner that it's expected to be, it might kill nVidia.

Wow to think there bringing out a new card and ATi can still kick there butts. I guess they figured ATI wasnt a threat when they were doing X-Box. There not even making the money on it they expected. They should have just sticked to the game plan.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
My mate at nVidia also slipped out about the nv35, but wouldn't tell me when it was coming out - or any other info about it other than it wouldn't experience the same delays as the nv30, 31 and 34.

yes thats true... the nv35 is actually supposedly AHEAD of schedule...

however the nv35 will probably have to move to a 256 bit memory setup in order to truly stand out... there is only so much that can be done with a 128 bit setup and the noise generated (hence the 12 layer pcb v/s 8 layer pcb for ati)

the nv31 and nv34 really should NOT have been delayed since they are such low end parts they could have been made on a 0.15 micron process...

/me thinks someone @ nvidia goofed up... sure go for the nv30 @ 0.13 micron but come on... nv31 and nv34 as well ? those parts are quite low end....

still lets wait and see what happens when the gf FX ships and the triangle count is as low as they say..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back