Getting rid of pop up balloons

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
Windows XP - how annoying? Your mouse arrow is hovering over the 'SHUT DOWN' button and a useful balloon pops up telling you that this button is for shutting the computer down!

How can I get rid of all this rubbish.

I tried using a previous tip from this site but the reg edit location did not seem to exist, and neither does GPEDIT.MSC for that matter.

Also some menu I found in the XP mess that claimed to turn off balloons did no such thing.

One day I'm sure I'll understand.

You must have the Home Edition. So do I. I have been trying to find that same tweak myself. That balloon crap is for children.

Many of the tweaks I have seen don't specifiy if it's for Home or Pro or if it does, it's not accurate.

Tpying gpedit.msc does not work in Home edition. I am trying to find a way around that to get to the same places.

Those fiendish balloons

I've just tried this and:

1. In my version, Windows XPhome 5.1 build 2600 the EnableBalloonTips DWORD does not exist int he specified regedit location.

2. StartButtonBalloonTip is there so I changed that from a two (2) to a zero (0), and...

3. When I restarted the computer it had changed back to a two (2)!!

4. Balloon tips still appear - Doh!

:confused:

Update (final I hope):

I loaded up the AntiSpy V3.3 from the front page of this site and it has a handy feature to TUIRN OFF BALLOON TIPS - yea!

This feature also has the added charm of working.

I still get the info boxes appearing from the task bar but the really annoying ones from the start menu have now gone.

:D

Thanks all.

I tried Alex's tip and it seemed to have worked. I have not seen a balloon tip since. And the poster stated there was no ShowBalloonTips entry there. You have to create it as in Alex's tip.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back