getting no video... please help!

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
ok, i turned my PC last night, and im getting no video at all. i put my video card in another PC and it worked fine. found an old video card and put it in the pc that has no video, and that didnt work either. nothing has changed in hardware for a long time.

this going to be a motherboard or processor?

specs

K8N motherboard
amd 3000+ 64bit
512mb corsair
9800 pro 256mb

i dont do any O/C...thought about it but i havent. Im really big watching the temp level in the case and cpu and AVG is 86 F

is there anything i can try??

look at the agp socket and see if you see and scorch marks also look at the wall plug and do the same, if you don't have a surge protector and a lot of times even if you do, you may have had a power surge that fried your system. I would suggest taking all the parts out of the pc, cleaning them and putting them all back in.

Question does the computer start up at all? either way i always find the best way to solve these hardware issues is to first rebuild the system. if it then does not work, it may be the system has been fried, have you had a storm lately, did you come back to find the alarm clock blinking, because the power went out?

actually everything seems fine. no power outtages that i can see. ill check for scorches but my clock is stull running fine.

everything powers on. and stays on. all fans go and i hear the HDD spinup.

I agreed with Lancer up until this quote:

lancer said:
either way i always find the best way to solve these hardware issues is to first rebuild the system.

Lancer I have read many of your other posts and up until now you sounded like someone who works in the the industry. Even at a basic level when learning A+ they tell you to Isolate the problem by logical thinking... Pulling it all out and rebuilding it is NOT IMHO the way to go.

1) I would check power first, make sure the outlet your computer and monitor are plugged into still work.
2) Since you used the video card in another machine you know that works, thats great now how about the monitor do you get a display at all?
3) Do you HEAR your computer booting up?
4) Have you tried booting the comp up on a known good monitor and seeing if you can? THIS is personally what I would try. In that way you rule out the most items at one time.
5) and this one may sound dumb, make sure your connections to the monitor are connected as they should be, if either one comes out and a few pins arent making contact..... then no display....

I hope you get it working, keep us posted

tampa, fl you only live 71miles away from me, don't make me track you down :)

well, i have tried 2 monitors as well on the not working pc and no video. hooked up both monitrs to another pc and worked fine.

come to think of it i dont remember hearing the motherboard post. but ill have to double check that when i get home.

about the connections, that was the first thing i tried. double triple checking the pins on the omintor and what not. i screwed in the connections for the video but didnt help.

oh one thing that happens is when i unplug the monitor while the PC is on, and plug the monitor back in i get a green light for about 4 seconds then goes back to amber. but it never says that it lost its signal.

this "test" was done on both known good video cards.

LOL Lancer it wasnt meant as a Bash... I did say I liked your previous posts Right?

:cool:

Anyway, ok then you know you have a good video... sounds like maybe a bad monitor, but normally they give you a sign first, unless its a bad cable (doubtful)

post anothe rmessage after you get home and fill us in

Good Luck

Ouch... if thats the case... and you can hear the HD spin up, your mobo may have gone bad, or maybe its just the AGP slot... try an old PCI video card just to see if it will work...

you know back to my orignal post, this has happened to me before at the first stages of a build, it usually had something to do with the reset/hd sw/speaker etc... cables beig loose or not installed correctly, have you looked at them, if not and you don't want to rebuild the pc (might as well at this stage), then i would agree with mlakrid that the mobo it fked and you need a new one.

:(

**crosses fingers**

I really hope its not the mobo, I hate it when that happens, unless you are a child molestor then you get what you deserve, Im sure you arent though Idle..

:)

Good luck, and at this poiint, I wouldremove everything that is non-essential to a normal boot to POST, no speakers, no HD, no CDROMs, no DVDs you get the picture.. then see if you at least get a POST boot up....

Good luck

mlakrid said:
:(

**crosses fingers**

I really hope its not the mobo, I hate it when that happens, unless you are a child molestor then you get what you deserve, Im sure you arent though Idle..

:)

Good luck, and at this poiint, I wouldremove everything that is non-essential to a normal boot to POST, no speakers, no HD, no CDROMs, no DVDs you get the picture.. then see if you at least get a POST boot up....

Good luck

last time i checked im not sooo we're good their....

ill try to get all the parts out and if that doesnt work ill have to replace it. i have a call number from Asus but they havent called me back like they said they would. ill have to call them later today to see what i can do. prolly just have to do an RMA...ugggggg stupid computers

Well, you get your video working?

Fill Us in... that way I can remove some of these threads I am posting too

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back