getting around XP Admin pass

dubstar

format c:
i'm trying to install a printer for my buddies computer but a pop up keeps saying "you must be apart of the administrators group" then it has "administrator" as user name, and an empty password.

is there anything i can do to get around this? he doesnt know the admin pass. he got the computer at a yard sale and the people moved so he cant go back to the house or anything to ask.

any help or is he dead in the water?

bomb. questions though. i didnt see it on the FAQ and i will e-mail the guy who made the software this if there's no responce here.

will i be able to see the old password?

will i be able to change the password back to what it originally was?

will i be able to just skip putting the password in?

im asking this because now im thinking of another friend, a much cuter friend, that wants to bypass, not change, the admin pass. but this will do for now. thanks very much!

dubstar said:
bomb. questions though. i didnt see it on the FAQ and i will e-mail the guy who made the software this if there's no responce here.

will i be able to see the old password?

will i be able to change the password back to what it originally was?

will i be able to just skip putting the password in?

im asking this because now im thinking of another friend, a much cuter friend, that wants to bypass, not change, the admin pass. but this will do for now. thanks very much!

I don't know of any FREE utils, or any for that matter, that will display the old password, so no, you won't :)

Changing back to what it originally was, shouldn't be a problem. The only time you would run into problems is if there is a GPO in place to remember xx amount of passwords (password history).

Skip password in? Do you mean autologin or not have a password at all?

mastershakes - im blocked from the blogger site from work. i'll check it out when i get home.

kcnychief - while logged in looking at the windows wallpaper/desktop, will i be able to just plug-and-play with no pass popping up? or do i need to alter the password and gain access by entering a new password?

dubstar said:
mastershakes - im blocked from the blogger site from work. i'll check it out when i get home.

kcnychief - while logged in looking at the windows wallpaper/desktop, will i be able to just plug-and-play with no pass popping up? or do i need to alter the password and gain access by entering a new password?

If I understand you correctly, as long as you have sufficient user priveleges you won't be prompted to do any actions after logged in. If you are using the Administrator account, or an account with said priveleges you will have no problems.

Here's the pretty little tool.

Thanks MSDN ! hehe.

Attachments

• MakeMeAdmin.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 31
Changing the SAM password however will disallow any access to encrypted data (that was made on that account through EFS). You can easily reset the password stored via NT Password (through linux) using password hash insertion.

You cannot have the old password sent to you, all you can do is attempt to crack it with a program like SAMinside. This however can take anywhere from a few hours up to a few months depending on the complexity of the password. If there's a LM hash you're in luck ;) if not, well, good luck. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back