Getting a new laptop

omgsoup

OSNN Senior Addict
as you can see above, i'm thinking of getting a laptop, specifically a toshiba tecra s-1. as far as in terms of quality, is the toshiba a good choice, and is the 1.7ghz pentium m going to be comparable to a 2.5ghz pentium 4-M? also, the s1 only has 32MB of videocard memory. the plan is to play games on this as well. should i maybe get a different model that will let me have a more memory?

and not to start a flame war, should i get a powerbook? i'm tempted, but i'm unsure about not wanting to give up my comfort with windows/being able to play more games on the pc, as well as how a 1ghz g4 compares to its pentium challengers.

Laptops aren't my strong point but here are some of the issues I've heard to watch out for:

LCD will smear when playing first person shooters or action games. Ok on startegy games.

Some of the faster pentium chips have a built in slow down mode. They reduce clock speed when they feel it's needed (heat, battery, etc) this will murder your frames per second.

As for the relative performance (P$ vs Pm) I have never seen anyone benchmark laptops,other than for battery life. But expect the laptop to be slower than any desktop. The laptops can't afford the power pig graphic accelerator cards.

As for the powerbook.... Apple is still in business? Wow, I didn't think there were enough people around stupid enough to buy overpriced proprietary hardware that runs overpriced software to keep them in business.

Originally posted by BenQuilter
the plan is to play games on this as well.
should i get a powerbook?
:D make up your mind! haha...

anyway, if you want to play games on whatever laptop you get, make sure it has a dedicated graphics adapter, as opposed to an onboard one that shares system memory. those are useless for gaming. the phrase "Mobility Radeon" is a good one to look for when selecting a laptop. you should be able to find a good laptop with a mobility radeon 9000 for not too much. but if you were really thinking about buying a powerbook, you must be prepared to spend quite a bit!
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by LeeJend
Laptops aren't my strong point but here are some of the issues I've heard to watch out for:

LCD will smear when playing first person shooters or action games. Ok on startegy games.

Some of the faster pentium chips have a built in slow down mode. They reduce clock speed when they feel it's needed (heat, battery, etc) this will murder your frames per second.

As for the relative performance (P$ vs Pm) I have never seen anyone benchmark laptops,other than for battery life. But expect the laptop to be slower than any desktop. The laptops can't afford the power pig graphic accelerator cards.

Not to discredit you..but I'll add my two cents. The LCD MAY smear, that doesn't mean it will.

As for the clock slow down, that's not true unless you're unplugged...the P4M is a lower voltage, so it doesn't run as hot.

Yes, people benchmark notebooks, unless you just crawled out of a hole. I just read a few reviews in Laptop magazine and yes, they benchmarked it.

Okay...as for PM vs. P4M the PM (Centrino) will save you on battery life and is still fast. It also will reduce the packaging (aka lighter notebook). So you'd be good to go either way. If you want to play games, I would get a P4 desktop chip notebook with ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 or higher. That'd be the way to go. As for Apple...you can get an AWESOME WinTel based notebook for what you can get an Apple for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back