Getting a new computer, here is the specs

I suggest getting this hard drive instead Newegg link

it will save you about $40 its the one I have and ill tell you now that it is silent can barely hear it and I can move around 1.5 to 2 gigs of data around and not even get that waiting screen. It is fast drive just as long as you get a working one but new egg will take them back if they aren’t working and ship you a new one only takes about a week.

I would get another stick of 512 ddr it will really help if you play some of the newer games.

As for the vid card I am a ATI person and I have a ATI AIW 9800pro 128mb I love the card but if you aren’t going to use the TV function I would suggest getting the 9800pro 256mb card just don’t get the XT version they got a lower benchmark score last time I checked.

thanks for your imput guys...

I want the SATA Hard drive because I already have a 160 gb IDE HD, and SATA is just SOOO much faster than IDE...

steve

s-ata is no faster than ide unless you want to follow percentile improvements shown in synthetic benchmarks..

theoretically it is faster... it is your choice whether you want s-ata @ the cost of better components else where...

can you show me some numbers, cause I think that 10,000 rpm is a lot faster than 7,200 rpm...

Fenris said:
...its the one I have and ill tell you now that it is silent can barely hear it and I can move around 1.5 to 2 gigs of data around and not even get that waiting screen...

That's because when you 'move' files around from one place to another on the same HDD you aren't actually moving them, just changing it's location (path etc).

Moving them to another HDD completely would be a different story...

My old HD must have just sucked then because I used to have to wait on it...anyway aren’t sata drivers mainly for someone running more than one HD on there computer? doesn’t it just turn one of them in to a backup and save data on to both of them or it will split the file up and save half on one drive half on the other and that is where you see the increase in speed its just using 2 HD at once? Or is that a diff kind of set up.

Fenris said:
My old HD must have just sucked then because I used to have to wait on it...anyway aren’t sata drivers mainly for someone running more than one HD on there computer? doesn’t it just turn one of them in to a backup and save data on to both of them or it will split the file up and save half on one drive half on the other and that is where you see the increase in speed its just using 2 HD at once? Or is that a diff kind of set up.

I am not sure what you are completely saying, but SATA Hard drives are just drives that are on a different cable (SATA cable) and they have a faster transfer rate (10,000 rpm). I think you are thinking about RAID, that setup allows you to dupilicate your main hard drive to your secondary one. :)

PCI Express, SATA2, BTX boards.... soon to become available.... that's if you can wait another yr or so.

Buy the Northwood instead of the prescott, it performs better and runs cooler. I would also recommend going with a mobo with the i875 chipset instead of a SIS one. The intel chipsets have always been more stable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back