Getting a new computer, here is the specs

boske

OSNN Junior Addict
ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "PLUS1080AMG"

Lite-On DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model LDW-411S Beige bulk

Arctic cooling 80mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket 478 3.2GHz+, Model "ACSS4PL"

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

ASUS SiS 655TX Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4S800D-E Deluxe"

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

ABIT nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA Video Card, 128MB DDRII, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "Siluro FX5700 Ultra"

Came out to about $957.00

What do you guys think? :confused:

Why not reuse some of the components from your old machine if they're not totally out-of-date?
Might as well find a 256mb GFX card if money isn't an issue for you. Won't be future prrof, but neither will the above specs.

well as of right now, im re-using some parts from my machine for my computer, but im also building a new computer for my friend. I was also thinkin of getting a 256 card for him as well, I got a GForce 5600 256 mb ram, and it wasn't a bad price. Actually mine was cheaper than the 128 mb one. These parts are from newegg.com

I just wanted to see what kind of input you guys had on the computer...

thanks
Steve

Watch out for any cards that have 256MB. These cards use older, slower memory, so it would advisable to buy 128MB cards instead, which use newer, faster memory.

Well I think it's all down to you as an individual. I'm waiting for a while longer because I can't see the point of upgrading every year. Also, you may have heard that the PCI Express slots will be available... not only that, there will be a BTX board soon.
I think it would be a waste of money upgrading now and finding out 6 months after that you cannot use your existing (new) hardware with the newer motherboards.

also when you are looking at prices and quality of orders take a look at www.zipzoomfly.com...I've ordered everything I have from there and it is awesome and very under-rated

I see what you mean, but in 6 months from now, you'll say to yourself "in 6 more months it will be faster" - my rule of thumb is to double my processor speed when I want to upgrade... so 1.7 to 3.0 sounds good to me...

boske said:
I see what you mean, but in 6 months from now, you'll say to yourself "in 6 more months it will be faster" - my rule of thumb is to double my processor speed when I want to upgrade... so 1.7 to 3.0 sounds good to me...
Agreed! I've even downgraded my processor a bit coz I was worried about the heat during last summer. But I haven't bothered putting the speed back up coz haven't really needed the extra juice. This cpu (after putting it back to 2100+) could probably last me until summer 2005. :)

boske.. why not spend less on the hdd and upgrade something elsE?

ie get a larger capacity hdd and you should still have some money to perhaps upgrade your RAM to higher capacity...

2 x 512MB would be great..

my suggestions if u're gonna stick to INTEL-

-drop down to a 2.8ghz and save money
-use it to get a better video cuz i dont approve of your pick there, the 9800pros are being found for 200 bucks lately! =P
-maybe double your ram
-maybe get a p4p800 deluxe if its cheaper ^_^

breezie.. its a prescott... they are cheaper than northy's clock for clock... :D

im lookin for speed here, I header the SATA Raptor Hard Drives are lightening fast...

I see what you mean about downgrading to save money, but its not much cheaper...I myself just bought the Gforce 5600, 256 mb ram, ddr

boske said:
ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "PLUS1080AMG"

Lite-On DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model LDW-411S Beige bulk

Arctic cooling 80mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket 478 3.2GHz+, Model "ACSS4PL"

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

ASUS SiS 655TX Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4S800D-E Deluxe"

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

ABIT nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA Video Card, 128MB DDRII, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "Siluro FX5700 Ultra"

Came out to about $957.00

What do you guys think? :confused:

That's an awsome setup! But I would change one thing, go with an AIW 9800 Pro.

boske said:
im lookin for speed here, I header the SATA Raptor Hard Drives are lightening fast...

I see what you mean about downgrading to save money, but its not much cheaper...I myself just bought the Gforce 5600, 256 mb ram, ddr

why would you buy that?

:confused:

the 256mb does nothing for you and the ultra is a far superior card...

Friend of Bill said:
That's an awsome setup! But I would change one thing, go with an AIW 9800 Pro.

I agree with this too but well the AIW is if you are going to watch tv on your pc. I have the 9800 PRO love it. If you want extream go 9800XT 256 :p ATI or ASUS.

Sazar said:
breezie.. its a prescott... they are cheaper than northy's clock for clock... :D

hehe there's a 2.8 prescott too isnt there? i thought the reviews had the northies and prescotts close anyways =P

my roomate has, the 3.0 800mhtz fsb, 1 gig crucial dual channal ddr and sata raid 120's, ati 9600 aiw. i envy his machine, he uses genuine intel board to go with it...

i dislike Intel mobo's-- they're stable as h3ll but have no goodies for o/cing any other things whatsoever ^_^

Stay away from the SiS chipset... stick to something with an Intel chipset...

sis chipsets are not very good for socket A... other than that SIS is not a bad chipset to buy...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back