Getting a job

S

seeme

Just a quick rant, but i've recently finished my degree, and i tell ya what- this is the HARDEST time of my life, I have no idea what i want to do with my life, and its so hard to find good jobs with good companies that you want to apply for...and the few that you come across you wouldnt apply for anyway because you dont have enough experience.

throughout my life ive always known exactly where i was from, and exactly where i was headed, but since leaving uni its been so bloody hard.

with my experience i feel that i'm a cut above the rest, except my experience has been gained through self employment and unpaid opportunities - like being the unions elected event coordinator and operating a special events company...these things count in any CV, however for the sort of jobs that i'm interested in they don't count for diddly sqaut!!!

is there anyone else out there facing a similar problem? it would be great to discuss self promoting strategies and try to help each other out with career paths.

I have singlehandedly reached the most frustrating aspect of my life to date.

Jeremy

Yeah, I hear ya. I still have about 2 years left at the uni but I definately am starting to get the same feeling. Have you talked to your union? They usually have career guides and career talks and so on. Usually free for members (they are here anyway).

Well, I found myself in that position 3 years ago. I knew what I was doing but I didn't have a lot of real world experience. I was working in a field that I enjoyed, but not what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I gave up a significant amount of money to go back to making $9.00 an hour, just to get the experience I needed. It was hard, but It has all paid off. Within 3 months of doing that I jumped up to $14.00 an hour and by the end of the year I was making $35K. Now, it's been almost 2 years and I am glad for the choices I made. It wasn't easy to do but it all paid off. Sometimes you just can't let the money rule your decisions. Oh, in case you are wondering. I am a PC Analyst. Within the next year I hope to move into server operations. I do not have any schooling behind my knowledge with computers. Everything I know about them I have picked up in the last 13 years. Make that sacrifice to put yourself on the track you want. Don't let the money be the deciding factor. You will see that it will all pay off.

Good luck!

I'm actually on the exact same boat as you man. I just finished uni about three weeks ago and can't find employment around here. I'm actually looking into relocating now...with some luck , we will both find something good.

I hear ya'll, good luck to you all, I am only at GCSE level, but I understand what you mean, there just ain't enough jobs to go around, and it seems experience seems to be more imporantant that grades!!

I get to do a MCSE instead of an A-level next year :) (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)

Skazz

Its not about experience, its all about who you know. If you dont know any "high" people you probably wont get any high in yr career. Grades are also important but not at this time, just try to make freinds in high places.

Can someone please explain to me whats a GCSE is?

I’ve learned that most people who get good jobs have an "in" after they get there "in" is when the schooling comes into play and you have to show them what you can do.

As PlagueWielder said it’s more about who you know then what you know AT FIRST who you know will get you the job what you know will make you successful at your job. theres some luck mixed in there too ;)

ohh I work for Microsoft btw and its because I knew someone :D

May I ask what you do for Microsoft and what degrees... you needed?

Thanks

Im 16 and Im starting to look into these things now so I would just like to know what I need in general.

GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education

MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

GNVQ = General National Vocational Qualification

GCSE's are in England only, I think in america they do something called their A plus or something like that? correct me cos I am probably wrong!

Skazz

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education

MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

GNVQ = General National Vocational Qualification

GCSE's are in England only, I think in america they do something called their A plus or something like that? correct me cos I am probably wrong!

Skazz

yah A+ cert

Well I am kinda the opposite position. I got out of HS and joined the ARMY as a telecom engineer, when I got out I took some time off to adjust to civilian life again. Job hunted for 2 years before landing a decent job that lasted 2 years. I got laid off in January and still have not found a job yet. I have 6 years experience in the telecomm industry but no degree. So now I am looking to get my AS in either Information Tech. or Comp. Sci.

I am thinking about an online degree program from Kaplan.

i got my A+ cert and going for my Net+ this summer...cant wait to get that cert, Network admin HERE I COME!

right, well, as I had suspected it is more than just me getting frustrated over the whole employment/first job issue, I agree absolutely about knowing someone in 'high' places, it definitely helps get that interview and a good job.

I think that my main problem is actually getting that interview, i've got enough worldly experience, and am intelligent enough to pick up most things very quickly...I'm just trying very hard to get a kick a$$ CV put together...

...hmm, I really need to do more networking...of the people kind!

I think all the reserach that i've been doing over the past few weeks point out a few major issues:

1. A job is NOT going to fall into my lap
2. It's better to take your time and research 5 companies and customise your CV to each company and try for 5 jobs, rather than spam emailing 300 standard CV's and hoping for the best.
3. Online job sites that offer free professional advice about writing CV's, offering industry tips, and inside information about going for interviews really are helpful.

4. It pays to be prepared. Generic 9-5 jobs really really suck, think about how unhappy you would be if you went out and spent $400 on a 1gb hdd, only to realise 3 weeks later that they now come in 200gb version and you got ripped off, and you can't take it back...how much research do you guys do when buying new computer parts?? unless you have resarched the job that YOU want, in the industry of YOUR choice, your wasting your time, and wont get any job satisfation.

Jeremy

Very, very well put,

I like the hard drive concept ;) - How damn true

Skazz

Ow, and you saying I was ripped off paying $200 for this 1GB hard drive? no way the man promised me its the cheapest I could get a 1GB drive :)

Skazz

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
Very, very well put,

I like the hard drive concept ;) - How damn true

Skazz

thanks for that!

i came up with this little beauty to put in my CV today...took me bloody ages to word it, and i'm still debating if it should go in or not.....ps its only an extract...
..my dillema is that its mildly amusing, and a good example of my ability to think on my toes and find the good in any situation, but it might cross that professional barrier : (ps it actually happened, i havent made this up)..im going for a job in events management/marketing/PR...that sort of thing...if that makes the situation clearer...and also, i was the university union's social officer last year when this happened

"In the event of a fire alarm and emergency evacuation of the University, responded to the situation by realising the potential for marketing within such an incident. Took advantage of the opportunity and:
- Quickly organised a student Jazz group to play uplifting background music which acted to focus and gather attention
- Organised a group of six people to help sell tickets
- Proceeded to promote and sell the bulk of the 200+ available harbour cruise tickets in the time it took fire fighters to ascertain that it had been another false alarm

right, after sleeping on this idea, it's not going in...it's not going to impress, and its not relevent.

It's definitely frustrating, but I'm in an even different situation. I'm just looking for temporary summer employment, as I am between my first and second years of getting my master's degree. I'm not in dire shape, as I saved enough money to last through the summer until the next federal loan refund. :p

I find it rough getting a job in web / multimedia design, particularly, even at the temp agency, they want 3-5 years experience. If you can't get experience, even at the ****ing temp agency, where the hell can you get it? :p

Unfortunately, it really is all about who you know. I have more contacts in TV / film production, and that's probably what I'm going to pursue after graduation. Either that, or a Ph.D.

Melon

if anyones interested, after several weeks work and many hours of consultation with family, friends and HR contacts, ive come up with a work of art

My CV is completed!

ive got a job interview this week as Account Manager for nintendo

lock that in for every young mans dream job!

;)

go for it, good luck in the interview. Dont forget a stirdy handshake and look at the interviewer in the eyes...but dont stare :p

I'm thinking about becoming a "full time" high-stakes poker player since I find "work" demeaning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back