Get Perpendicular

Kush

High On Life!
Hitachi announced this week that it had developed a new recording method to store up to 10 times as much data on a hard disk. To explain this feat, Hitachi has posted a hilarious Flash animation to help you 'Get Perpendicular '.

Haha, that was awesome. Cool technology too :)

i wonder when this will actually be availible on the market
edit: and as for the flash its really entertaining and funny, to think a major corporation would think to make something funny like that. :yowch: :laugh:

Damn, even a two year old would enjoy that, heh. That was goofy. :D

now they need one explaining why windows and dos say a ahrdive is 1024 bytes and they say it is 1000 bytes hehe.

its sort of 'School House Rock' stylie that

*hums 'lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here'
damn them for their catchy songs and appauling lyrics :p

Well it's certainly better than Toshiba's explanation:

VenomXt said:
now they need one explaining why windows and dos say a ahrdive is 1024 bytes and they say it is 1000bytes hehe.
Nothing to do with Windows or DOS. Linux, BeOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD... every operating system out there will report as 1024bytes = 1KB, because that's exactly what a kilobyte is. However, HDD manufacturers are somehow allowed to screw us over by releasing storage specifications based on 1KB = 1000bytes, meaning we lose theoretical space on every drive we buy, very annoying.

Speedy_b said:
very annoying.
yes how annoying? THE MOST IT COULD EVER BE! why? because they know we know and they are just screwing us and its tough luck for us, go build your own hard drive if you don't like it eh?

Geffy said:
its sort of 'School House Rock' stylie that

*hums 'lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here'
damn them for their catchy songs and appauling lyrics :p

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, how's that function?

:p Damn, I still remember that. :p

i just showed this flash to some friends they all laughed at me, and said im too obssesed with computers, but they thought it was funny and liked the fros.

SPeedY_B said:
Nothing to do with Windows or DOS. Linux, BeOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD... every operating system out there will report as 1024bytes = 1KB, because that's exactly what a kilobyte is. However, HDD manufacturers are somehow allowed to screw us over by releasing storage specifications based on 1KB = 1000bytes, meaning we lose theoretical space on every drive we buy, very annoying.

1024-1000 = 24 bytes lost per kB

1G = 1,048,576 kB = 48,576 bytes lost

100G = 104,857,600 kB = 4,857,600 bytes lost

Its less than 5MB per 100G I know we still lose a tiny fraction, but is it really worth getting mad about? I dont know about you guys, but I have pr0n files much larger than that... :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back