germany's shopping

FishBoy

Feeeesh
cool germany developped a new way of paying for grocery when shopping they pay by fingerprints which deducts money from their account

Link

I think they would have gone for retinal scans, but unlike the movies I am pretty sure people would sue for having lasers shone into their eyes.

Speaking of which, don't look down fibre to see if it works, I can still see the dot 10 minutes later :p

At least there won't be any "oh damn, I forgot my finger at home". ;)

Do they have self scanners to? We do at the bigger stores here. Portable scanners you use to scan the groceries yourself. At checkout you just hand over the scanner and your card and you're done. ;)
Though sometimes the computer says "hey, better check that guy's bags" and you have to unpack everything again, but mostly it's quick. :)

I think they have em in the UK, but apparently - believe it or not - the loss from theft is actually less than having to employ staff!

Electronic Punk said:
I think they have em in the UK, but apparently - believe it or not - the loss from theft is actually less than having to employ staff!
Exactly. Most people are honest (although some make honest misstakes too). Having four people instead of ten on the registers does save a pretty penny. :)

ahh, the digital world
of course to take this to the logical conclusion, you will see your shopping habits tracked and your end recepits will have coupons for the products you used most, as well as other products they theink you will like.

falconguard said:
ahh, the digital world
of course to take this to the logical conclusion, you will see your shopping habits tracked and your end recepits will have coupons for the products you used most, as well as other products they theink you will like.
Oh yes, they've done that for years. :) But I'm not sure to what extent they use it, I still get coupons for tampons sometimes... :ermm: Maybe they're trying to sell me "new" products from time to time. But I don't think the chance of me turning into a woman is very big. ;)

Faking fingerprints is soooooo easy that I am shocked that they actually used them in stead of (like EP stated) retinal scans. Shame they don't do this in the states, I could have tons of free groceries.

Well it seems like they will still have to put there pin number or w/e for added security.

Maveric169 said:
Faking fingerprints is soooooo easy that I am shocked that they actually used them in stead of (like EP stated) retinal scans. Shame they don't do this in the states, I could have tons of free groceries.
Gummy bears? did you mention Gummy bears? :laugh:

Pop tarts anybody?

Gives new meaning to Givin Da Finger to yer Grocery Bills. :D

sportsmanship.jpg

Hey! Get me some CupCakes! :p

Maveric169 said:
It turns out that retinal scans (however cool they are in scifi movies ;)) are slower, more complicated and more annoying (to the customer) than finger printing. The added accuracy (if any) doesn't weigh up the other problems.

At least, this is what I've read about it. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back