[Gentoo] Mysql does not work

DreamweaverN

OSNN Newbie
Hello all. I am trying to setup Mysql to use Feedonfeeds (a server side feed reader which I use to read this fine site) but I seem to be having quite a major problem. I get this error:

Cannot connect to database. Check your configuration. Mysql says: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Unfortunatly the Mysql documentation does not shine any light on fixing the problem. I have tried setting the max_allowed_packet and the wait_timeout but they won't seem to "set". After using mysql_install_db it gives commands to set a root password via commands. But alas I get this error:

Lost connection to MySQL server during query

I am unsure what to do. I think I'm at the end of the line and I'm about to go crazy. Please help. Thank you, DreamweaverN

DreamweaverN said:
Hehe, I fixed! Sorry about that all :).
If you could perhaps post your solution incase someone down the line has the same problem. :)

seconded :yes: MySQL errors are quite common under n00bs (meaning people that just started using MySQL) and you're solution may also be their solution.

FYI
to set variables you need to do this
set-variable=tmpdir=c:/temp/mysql
in your my.ini file or relevant unix filename.

Sure thing. Actually this was a very strange error and many things made it occur. I found that a setting I had made before that worked in FeedonFeeds (the localhost variable, it had to be set to this even though setting it to other things had worked perfectly fine on other Linux OSs). Also the user I had created for Mysql had to host "localhost" and nothing else. It seems Mysql didn't want to handel "outside" data (even though it came from the same machine). Of course the error had nothing to do with the fix. Also this set of conditions had not been seen anywhere else or so it seems (of all the searching I did nothing came close to the fix). The Mysql documentation was no help at all. I've setup Mysql on Mandrake, Red Hat and Slackware with the same software and doing the same things yet it all seemed to die when I changed to Gentoo. Oh well, it is working now and that is the main thing :).

Hrm, MySQL on Windows == First Mistake Zerohour.

Dreamweaver: Did you use Gentoo's ebuild? If so, that is your mistake.

X-Istence said:
Hrm, MySQL on Windows == First Mistake Zerohour.
Yeh I know, normally run it under redhat but where I work wanted IIS with PHP and MySQL (yes I know they are fools)

:D

DreamweaverN said:
What, for using the ebuild or that it was my mistake all along?

the ebuild system is broke, and works for nothing. I hear nothing but complaints when people use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back