• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

Specifications
• Controller: NVIDIA GeForce FX
• Bus type: AGP
• Memory: 128MB DDR-II
• Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/second (32GB with compression)
• Core clock: 500MHz
• Memory clock: 500MHz (1000 DDR-II)• RAMDAC: 2 @ 400MHz each
• Connectors: VGA, VIVO, DVI-I
• 200 million triangles/sec

http://www.bfgtech.com/fx_product_gfx.html

NOTE:
The special cooling system of the Asylum GeForce FX requires the PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot to be empty. This card also requires an available 4-pin power connector from the internal system power supply.
And they still have the BIG fan.

personally, i dig the huge fan and even the extra power connector. kinda like having a muscle car with a big-block sticking out of the hood. :D

yeah, you could pre-order bfg's card from best buy a week or so ago... but i'm waiting for a better brand. and, well, maybe a whole new system. :(

Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
Specifications
• Controller: NVIDIA GeForce FX
• Bus type: AGP
• Memory: 128MB DDR-II
• Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/second (32GB with compression)
• Core clock: 500MHz
• Memory clock: 500MHz (1000 DDR-II)• RAMDAC: 2 @ 400MHz each
• Connectors: VGA, VIVO, DVI-I
• 200 million triangles/sec

http://www.bfgtech.com/fx_product_gfx.html

thought we already had a thread on this ?

:)

oh well yah that does seem to be the general specs... you may want to add that the name has officially been changed to gf FX ultra... off the top of my head the model number is 5600 or something... don'ty quote me on it...

I had a thread started also concerning the number of triangles... since it is around 60% of the number the 9700pro produces but then again the fill rate on the gf FX should be gargantuan :)

Sazar, judging by many of your previous posts, should I go out on a limb and say you are an ATI fan?? ;)

Well which is more important, fill rate or triangles per second? I'm going to get a new video card soon, either a 9700 Pro or GeForce FX. I'm probably going to be playing my games at 1024x768 with all graphical enhancements like 4x anti-aliasing and 8x anisotropic filtering. Which would be better for me?

From what I've been hearing, it seems like the FX will be an incremental improvement over the 9700Pro. The FX will have advantages over the 9700 I'm sure, but will it be worth the price, the loss of a PCI slot, and the extra noise? I can't say. I guess we'll have to wait for some comparison benches.

Even when the FX finally does come out, I'm sure ATI will respond with something soon after, perhaps once again burying nvidia.

from the price range rumors that have been floating around ($399-$699) I would expect more then just "incremental improvement"

I just got my 9700 pro for around $300. I can imagine the price will drop to about $250 to compete with the GeforceFX when it comes out.

if you look at performance and price ratio, getting an ATI would be a no-brainer.

personaly i think that the 9700pro is a fine card for gaming. i play at 1280x1024 with all the setting turned on. the games are still playable. i would like to try to gfx but the only turn away is the price. then what sazar is saying. what happens is what happens, but i am sure that ati will come out with something new within months. once they were king, they don't want to loose their spot.

Yeah I think I'll wait and see what unravels myself.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
From what I've been hearing, it seems like the FX will be an incremental improvement over the 9700Pro. The FX will have advantages over the 9700 I'm sure, but will it be worth the price, the loss of a PCI slot, and the extra noise? I can't say. I guess we'll have to wait for some comparison benches.

Even when the FX finally does come out, I'm sure ATI will respond with something soon after, perhaps once again burying nvidia.

Its suposed to be a quite sulution actually so I don't think noise is a factor, they didn't want to just put a huge fan on it so they used abits heat pip tech that they designed for there geforce 4 series.

Originally posted by Krux
Its suposed to be a quite sulution actually so I don't think noise is a factor, they didn't want to just put a huge fan on it so they used abits heat pip tech that they designed for there geforce 4 series.

not quite m8 :)

the gf FX is being released overclocked... the fx FLOW or whatever the cooler is called is actually quite loud per people who worked their booths during comdex... also the card sample @ the time was supposed to have been clocked far slower than the working models that are supposed to start @ 500/500 ddr II

the lack of integration of the low K process will affect the card in terms of heat as there is more resistance to the current passing through the circuitry... if they did not have a massive cooling system such as the fx FLOW they may no have been able to reach air-cooled speeds with a regular hsf of 500/500... more likely 400/400-ish would have been the upper level STABLE...

therefore there is some doubt as to howmuch oc'ing headroom this baby is going to have...

the OTES cooling system used on the gf4 series is NOT the same as the gf FX cooler even though they do look similar...

beyond this let me reiterate that the gf FX should easily be around 15-30% faster in regular resolutions... it is when things like FSAA and AA and high resolution load is on the gpu that we will find out how many frames it can push out... it has a smaller memory bandwidth and appears to push fewer triangles... the efficiency of the design should be able to overcome some of these handicaps but the tests will be the ones that show this...

the card IS massive... it DOES have a huge cooler which may require you to keep 2 pci slots since it does sort of leak over into the second adjacent pci slot as well (please look to another thread where I posted not only the video card but the motherboard as well... this is one MASSIVE card)

the card should be priced around 399 USD... the same as the retail price of the 4600 and the 9700pro... I am a bit surprised @ this since the card employs 12layer pcb (this is done to cancel out the signal noise generated by the card design and the high clock frequencies) for reference the 9700pro employs 8 layer pcb board design... the more layers... the more expensive the process... during the design stage both the cards started out with a 10 layer design... the r300 boards dropped to 8 with revisions and refinements but apparently the higher clock speeds of the nv30 do not allow this to happen...

now there are a lot of things we can speculate about the card/cards BUT without a basic understanding of how the architecture works or ddrII (which has higher latencies than ddr) and what not... a lot more rumours and inuendo will be spread...

:cool:

scriptasylum... I am a fan of the tech that ati use but its less so their tech than the bs that nvidia routinely spews out that really irks me... if you search through a few threads you will see a post by me that explains my views on the different video cards/cpu's et al :) so I will not go into that again :)

btw the next iteration in ati's lineup is the r350 which will continue to use the 0.15 process and probably be clocked @ around 400/400 ddr.. which with its bigger 256bit memory system will emmulate the gf FX's fill rate and therefore should perform @ a similar level.. and better with more eye candy turned on with FSAA and AA enabled to high levels...

I will also be looking for improved 3d IQ on the gf FX since that has been the buzz word...

now remember folks... this card that will be released is not only over 6 months late... it is also highly overclocked (read earlier statements and compare with clock speeds of the quadro FX)... it obviously was tweaked with to compete better with the 9700pro which obviously threw a wrench in the nvidia product cycle...

I've never had video cards (of my own) other than Nvidias... and I'm a little hesitant to switch to ATI right now, but I'm pretty darn close.... getting tired of waiting. :huh:

eck, i had the same card you have right now... used it for about 2 years, the whole time oc'd to 220/400... loved it. but it finally fell short at bf1942, so i got a 128mb ti4200 at a good price and it's been great. unless you're really waiting to spend hundreds of dollars for the fx, the 4200 is still a great card at a nice price.

I'm going to get a high end card. Well, and extra-high end card anyway. I'm willing to spend up to $350 or so. Then it'll last me for a year... maybe two, and I'll do another major upgrade. :D

sazar you are right, i did not look at it like that. ati did mess up nvidia's product cycle. i am just interested to see what they do when FSAA and AA turned to max. if it does not blow the 9700 pro away by at least a 5-15% incease then it is not worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back