Geforce GTX 280

Sazar: i'm assuming you mean the FakeFactory Cinematic Mod or whatever it's called (can't remember off the top of my head exactly)for HL2? if so.... not sure exactly what's giving you trouble with running it maxed in every way, shape, and form. Unless you're actually using a 30" monitor at 2560x1600.... which then i can kinda see why. Didn't have a problem running maxed on my PC, and the only difference is that i have an 8800GTX while you have a G92 GTS... but you also have double the system memory that i do.

And i never said that everyone only plays Crysis. I just don't see the point in paying $150 more for the 4870X2 just so you can get a fair amount more fps that the majority of people will probably hardly notice anyway.

And you have to give the GTX 280 credit. I mean... for how much of a hulk Crysis is.... if it's single lonely GPU can keep up with a dual-GPU solution.... props to it.

I don't know what kind of miraculous performance your card is netting you but I have slow-downs in many places where the frame-rate is dipping to below 40fps in hectic scenes. I have the frame-rate counter at the top of the screen and I can see the slow-downs. Would be loevely to maintain a much higher frame-rate and with even higher filtering for AA and AF while using quality settings.

Btw, my sliders for my graphics card are set to max quality.

Regarding the price-points, do you remember what the 280 cost when it was first released? Seeing the price of the other AMD products, I would not be surprised to see it drop to the levels of the 280 to compete.

Regarding the solutions, Nvidia and AMD are competing with different methods. Nvidia cannot continue maintaining a larger and larger chip, AMD's way is proving to be the smarter and more logical design decision with technology as we currently have it.

The 280 is a great card for most things... but it is not the top-dog.

well... guess i never really DID play through the entire thing with the cinematic mod. only really played the beginning bits of the original HL2.

Ep 1 and 2 are both much slower than HL2 itself and HL2 gets slower as you get into certain stages where they simulate HDR and dynamic shadows.

Good points made on here. Deff some thing to look at ...

got my gtx280 installed, they run a hell of a lot cooler than the ATI cards, but i dunno how cool as mine came with a water block attached :D

You got one already, bastard lol

Need to save a bit more before I can get it.

sex wee :laugh:

i also think the idle power isnt correct as they run at very low speeds in 2d mode, 300 core, 600 shader and 200ram..

its a warm night and she is idle at 40 degrees :)

mind you its not gone above 55 clocked to 740 core 1586 shader and 2630 ram :|

Attachments

• GTX280H2OCWC_angle_lg.jpg
    GTX280H2OCWC_angle_lg.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 132
Personally, even though ATis ahead technology wise and maybe even a bit speed wise, I will still stick to nVidia. I will be getting a 280 and giving my wife my 2 8800GTS G92s, and then eventually getting a second 280 for SLI. Just a note I run everything maxxed with my current system below.

I plan on getting a second 280 since I have a 780i SLi board, it will be sweet.

I plan on getting a second 280 since I have a 780i SLi board, it will be sweet.

No offense intended but why?

I purchased the 4870 when it came out and thought that maybe I might resell it and get the 4870 X2 when it came out. I have since decided against that. I have a Crossfire motherboard so I could run two 4870's in Crossfire if I wanted but won't. I have a 750 watt PSU. It's great for what I have right now but I'd want to bump that up if I were to begin going the Crossfire route with the 4870s or newer.

You need to take a few factors into account. We are once again finding ourselves in a period where NVIDIA and ATI are in shorter release cycles. There should be a release of new cards in Q1-Q2 of 2009.

NVIDIA will not be adding any DirectX 10.1 support into their cards until they release DirectX 11 cards since they have to support DirectX 10.1 to support DirectX 11. If any DirectX 10.1 games come out you won't get any of the benefits from the NVIDIA cards and before someone debates the merits of DirectX 10.1, please, just save your breath.

The next real card release of merit from either company will come when DirectX 11 support is added and I foresee that being Q3 or Q4 of 2009. Both companies will have refined their technology and approach.

In the meantime why spend an absolute fortune on new video cards that will lose value a little over a year from now. Why not use the money you'd spend on a second card be it NVIDIA or ATI and invest that in buying new or upgrading existing hardware or saving it for your next video card purchase down the line?

Just food for thought.

why did i buy a car that does 155mph when the speed linits 70.

because i can and wanted to.

no offence taken but it was pointless :) you do what you want to, and we will do what we want to ;)

i forgot to mention i do intend on getting a 3rd soon after the 2nd if its still in production with the water block attached

its all e-peen points

why did i buy a car that does 155mph when the speed linits 70.

because i can and wanted to.

no offence taken but it was pointless :) you do what you want to, and we will do what we want to ;)

i forgot to mention i do intend on getting a 3rd soon after the 2nd if its still in production with the water block attached

its all e-peen points

Again, no offense, but I don't consider my post which, btw, was specifically directed at Bman to be pointless at all.

Not long ago I had discussions in threads created by Bman concerning HD-DVD/BluRay drives and then another in a sound card thread when he was looking to purchase a new card. In those discussions Bman discussed being on a budget in terms of purchases. He received the LG GGC-H20L as a gift. The sound card he was buying himself and had a limit that he wanted to spend. Been there. Done that. Working on a budget is a good thing because otherwise you can bleed money without even realizing it.

I feel that my questioning and commenting on the costs involved were relevant to his statement about buying a second NVIDIA GTX 280. I'm pretty sure that I saw him mention it but I don't remember what PSU he has. I'm pretty sure it isn't 1000 watt or more and, personally, I wouldn't run either two 4870's in Crossfire or two GTX 280s in SLI with anything less than a solid 1000+ watt PSU. I'd go with a PC Power & Cooling PSU, as well.

I'm well aware of some people wanting the bleeding edge best of the best and that is fine for them. Had I the money to just throw around I'd buy a new PSU and also get two 4870 X2s and run them in Crossfire but I see that as nothing more than pointless and a waste of my money. I'd also love to go buy myself a 30"+ monitor, an awesome top-rated 7.1 surround sound speaker system with receiver, a 50"+ LCD HDTV, a top of the line DSLR camera, and a whole load of other nice expensive goodies. We can't always get or afford everything we want. :p

All my posts are for informational purposes, my personal opinion, and food for thought. I simply was taking into account my prior discussions with Bman in my response to him.

Last edited:
Rotjong, you make very good points about my budget and reasoning not to get a second 280 card. Though I said I would like to eventually get a second 280, not get a second 280, yes I am saving to get my first one. All I said is that I would like to get a second one, and if I said something different well that is what I meant.

Now also I soon won't be on such a crappy budget anyways, and maybe I and people shouldn't spend crazy amounts of money on these things since they change so quick but computers and tech is my hobbie, my interest, my likes, my everything and it's what I love to waste my money on and having fun with it.

Yes at the moment I couldn't run 2 280s, I can't even run 1 at the moment, I am waiting to get my 1000W, which if I read correctly I wouldn't be able to run 2 with a 1000W PSU. Anyways in terms of your last paragraph there Rotjong, a 30" monitor, a new 7.1 soround sound system, 50+ LCD HDTV, a top of the line DSLR camera, plus my PSU, Vidcards, and all my other wanted computer parts are all things I plan on getting and since its what most people want but cant really afford it will take awhile to get, but its sorta my love if you know what I mean and I will spend that money.

I don't know if I cleared anything up, I don't know if I made things worse, or i dont know if I made you hate me now lol, but i think my final point is that I was saying I'd LIKE to get another 280, not that I will, and that I like wasting money on computer parts.

Anyways.

Rotjong, you make very good points about my budget and reasoning not to get a second 280 card. Though I said I would like to eventually get a second 280, not get a second 280, yes I am saving to get my first one. All I said is that I would like to get a second one, and if I said something different well that is what I meant.

Now also I soon won't be on such a crappy budget anyways, and maybe I and people shouldn't spend crazy amounts of money on these things since they change so quick but computers and tech is my hobbie, my interest, my likes, my everything and it's what I love to waste my money on and having fun with it.

That's cool then. :)

Yes at the moment I couldn't run 2 280s, I can't even run 1 at the moment, I am waiting to get my 1000W, which if I read correctly I wouldn't be able to run 2 with a 1000W PSU.

A 1000 watt PSU or greater should be fine. Anything less I wouldn't use. I always like to give myself extra room between what is necessary and what I actually have. It gives me a buffer for when I upgrade.

Anyways in terms of your last paragraph there Rotjong, a 30" monitor, a new 7.1 soround sound system, 50+ LCD HDTV, a top of the line DSLR camera, plus my PSU, Vidcards, and all my other wanted computer parts are all things I plan on getting and since its what most people want but cant really afford it will take awhile to get, but its sorta my love if you know what I mean and I will spend that money.

I love to spend money on gadgets and tech stuff, too, but I just have to limit my purchases and spread them out over time. I have the money but the costs just exceed the "play money fund" and would eat into other areas which, for me, isn't how i operate. :)

I don't know if I cleared anything up, I don't know if I made things worse, or i dont know if I made you hate me now lol, but i think my final point is that I was saying I'd LIKE to get another 280, not that I will, and that I like wasting money on computer parts.

If it's what you want and you can afford the money for it then cool. I have no issues with that. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back