GeForce FX

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja

I would doubt this would be the case to be honest, simply because i cannot see how they could justify the price. Anyone who is going to buy this card isnt gonna spend all that money on a card which is matched (or closely matched) by one that is a couple of hundred quid cheaper. For 450 buck (UK) i would want a card that whoops ATI's ass.

Hell, im not saying that it will here either - i just dont know cause i aint seen nothing on the benchmark front - (3Dmark i dont really trust either anymore).

But for me to shell out that much on a card - it blinkin better...

for all intents and purposes the gf FX should be faster... benches or not... the way it is designed is for speed...

I think with the extra time that nvidia's product has been delayed could lead to some minor adjustments to kick up the clock speeds... remember the basic ULTRA version is.. frankly... overclocked...

the cooler on it is used to dissipate the heat generated by a higher voltage than it would normally run... which all overclockers normally use to get higher speeds...

seeing as this is the case (or seems to be) I would not be surprised to see a margin in raw benches (no AA / FSAA) of around 15-30% on average... (meaningful benches btw... 3dmark is not an accurate measure)

consider that the high end model is probably clocked around 500-550mhz... and runs with 256mb DDR II... you still would not spend 500+ usd for it ?

:cool:

Some comments from the Front Page of Warp2Search.net, looks like im not the only one getting suspicious....

Looks like The Inquirer's Mole has just dug up some new Info on Nvidia's Geforce FX....but what I want to know is when are they F***ing release it or even releasing review samples that are not beta? or do Nvidia have some sort of problem that their not saying, most like with heat and new DDR-II memory.

Read More....

GPU

0.13u Manufacturing Process
125 Million Transistors ( 2X GeForce 4)
256-Bit GPU
Flip-Chip BGA Package with copper interconnects
8 Pixel Per Clock (8 Pixel Pipelines)
1 TMU Per Pipe (16 Textures per unit)
500MHz Core Clock (will probably vary depending on model)
350 Million Triangles per Second - 3x The Geometry Performance of a GF4 Ti

Memory

Memory with >1GHz Data Rate (500MHz DDR)
128-Bit "DDRII" Type
128MB & 256MB Memory Capacity
3rd. Generation Lightspeed Memory Architecture
48GB/s Effective bandwidth through the use of compression techniques. (16GB/s actual @ 500MHz)

maybe it reeks of 3dfx cuz nvidia ate them and this is the crap :p

just wanted to add some stuff...

1) i've been somewhat skeptical and frankly scrared for nvidia for a while. ever since i first found out about all the new uber-programmable shaders and dx9+ features that they incorporated into the gfx. i mean, videos i've seen of the gfx demos looks inredible... but i can't see any of these features being implemented into games anytime soon at all. hell, most games are still based on dx7 and all but the newest ones are dx8.1. i'd rather see less brains and more brawn from the gfx. apart from my preference, lord knows that sales of the gfx are largely going to be pushed by benchmark numbers.. that's what everyone wants to see before they decide what to buy. and with the gfx costing so much and not beating the 9700pro by that much, it's going to have trouble selling. especially once ati is surely going to come out with a 9900pro or something afterwards for the same price.. and it'll probly be faster. :(

2) as far as i know, the ps2 is HUGELY successful and still sells more games than the xbox or gamecube. keep in mind that the ps1 came out in 1994 or 1995... and they're STILL making games for it! the ps2 will see at least some of that kind of longevity. it takes a lot more than a powerful graphics chip to make great games.

i think that's all. :huh:

says on the bottom of the page that the bench marks where on "alienware PROTOTYPE systems"

I think i'll wait for a decent review with proper drivers before i jump to any conclusions regarding performance.

Oh, and please no more PS2 comments (be they good or bad) - i dont wanna ruin this thread with tat.

:eek:

what nvidia fails to mention in anyone of its PR ads is that whatever specs are on the gf FX... the ati can easily emulate those... ie all the specs they have listed for their hardware is matched by ati... giving up only clock speed and transistor number... also 0.13 micron process...

the effective bandwidth with the loss-less compression (4:1 ratio) is 64gb/s for ati v.s 48 gb/s for nvidia...

the shaders and what not that nvidia claim to be able to do... ati can do as well...

given that nvidia has more instruction sets (and capability for more) than ati... this goes without saying..

the r300 boards can support 256mb of ddr memory and can easily run ddr II... in fact on a tech program on tv.. an r300 was demoed with ddr II... therefore it was the FIRST video card out there RUNNING and RUNNING w/o crashing on a tv program...

I think most people here who have followed the gf FX remember all too clearly the german tech program where the gf FX crashed 2 times (one to desktop and one bsod that required a restart) LIVE... leaving the reviewer rather bemused :)

nvidia's pr (which I have always detested) spews a lot of bs and I just hope they are not building their card up to a level where IF it does not perform as expected... their legions of fans (fondly called nvidiots :cool ) loose faith...

of course we all know that the real battle of the giants will be between the next gen cards the r400 and nv35/40....

concerning the published results on maximum pc... I will wait for a knowledgeable internet reviewer to publish results since they have more of an idea what they are doing... not bashing maxPC... just think its more prudent...

Hmph. I'm starting to lean away from nvidia. Their new chip has been hyped up too much with late results. Yeah, it beats the 9700pro (on paper and early benchmarks), but how long has the 9700 been out now? Kinda like comparing apples to oranges to me.

I may own a geforce 4 now but thats only because nvidia took 3dfx over I was by no means a nvidia fan b4 or after this happen but was pretty much forced into there line of cards because of performance. as soon as they slip up and ATI comes ahead with good drivers and a card that just tears nvida out of the water I'm gone this thing will be in a box so fast.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Hmph. I'm starting to lean away from nvidia. Their new chip has been hyped up too much with late results. Yeah, it beats the 9700pro (on paper and early benchmarks), but how long has the 9700 been out now? Kinda like comparing apples to oranges to me.

:)

it shgould be a nice solution..

no official results worth seeing have come out...

IMO no benches with AA and FSAA mean that I am not going to pay any heed to the maxpc thinger...

once the FULL comparisons come out... we will all have a nice clear picture of what this baby will do... and what ati's response will be :)

-I own a japanese car. Do people care? No.
-I own an AMD based computer. Do people care? No.
-I own an ATI video.......<BLAM BLAM BLAM YOU STOOPID NEWBIE YOU DUMB STUPID DONT EVER BUY ATI AGAIN CUZ THEY SUXOR U DIE DIE DIE !!!!>

LOL

Well, You could always buy an Nvidia card and then you would have to put up with those kind of comments.

Perhaps we should all chip in a get Sazar a TI4800 or summit, that way you can rest in peace knowing that nobody will mock you.

:happy:

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
LOL

Well, You could always buy an Nvidia card and then you would have to put up with those kind of comments.

Perhaps we should all chip in a get Sazar a TI4800 or summit, that way you can rest in peace knowing that nobody will mock you.

:happy:

:cool:

a ti4800 ? nevah... I would rather buy a ti4600...

oh wait... they are the same card :D

yeah but wont you feel better having a ti4800 ??

then you could say i have ti4800!! and you have 4600!! HAHA

<fat guy enters>

I HAVE A GEFORCE FX

haha..

..ha..

:confused:

you said u saw a site that u could preorder FX boards on im curious as to what site and if u have a link?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back