Geforce Fx AGP 8x

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi all, i have heard everywhere that the geforce fx will be AGP 8x will this work on my comp? my comp is a AGP 8x, some ppl have told me that its compatible but it will only run at 4x? is this true?

Also on Charts an stuff it was geforce fx = 1x/2x/3x/4/x/8x?

pls help

If your APG slot is 8x, and the card is 8x, I do not see why it would not run at 8x.

Originally posted by ste_w
Hi all, i have heard everywhere that the geforce fx will be AGP 8x will this work on my comp? my comp is a AGP 8x, some ppl have told me that its compatible but it will only run at 4x? is this true?

Also on Charts an stuff it was geforce fx = 1x/2x/3x/4/x/8x?

pls help

its possible what they meant is the performance difference from 4x to 8x is negligible so even @ running at 8x agp speed the performance will be the same as agp 4x speed...

this is true for any agp 8x card at the moment so don't worry too much about it...

it should work fine on an agp8x board... might need a bios upgrade but should be fine regardless..

sorry i sed somert wrong in my origional post, i have a 4x agp, will it still work?

The 8x card will work, only it will run at 4x. That's all.

Few i was worried i wud have to upgrade my motherboard to agp 8x,

so any1 know where 2 get an easy £350 from for the geforce fx? lol

Thanx for ur help, so just confirm it again, the geforce fx agp 8x will run on my comp as mine is agp 4x? but will only run at 4x rite?

thanx

Yup! :happy:

It will run at how much your mobo allows it to run at, meaning 4x.

Re: Re: Re: Geforce Fx AGP 8x

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Actually I have yet to see an adequate review comparing 4x and 8x. Most reviews use the old Geforce 4 cards (which I think it kind of pointless). I have yet to see one do a comparison with the Radeon 9700 card.

P.S. If anyone knows of such a review, I'd like to see it. I've been wanting to see how 4x and 8x compare on the Radeon 9700 for a while now.

there are a lot of reviews... adequate too :)

the difference between agp4x and 8x is basically bandwidth... the extra bandwidth offered (off the top of my head I think it is 1.1gb/s v/s 2.1 gb/s 4x - 8x comparison) is suposted to alleviate the bottleneck that agp has...

the comparisons show the same exact thing... running the cards on agp4x v/s agp8x will NOT yield a performance difference because there is nothing currently being written that will utilise the extra bandwidth afforded...

I can't be bothered to check the reviews right now but you should try out www.anandtech.com www.rage3d.com (and do a search in their forums) www.tomshardwareguide.com and so on and so forth... even www.xbitlabs.com should have some info somewhere round their sites.. :)

its approaching midnight here thats why I don't want to go looking for the benches and what not pertaining to your question...

the gf4 lineup has agp8x compnonents now while the r300 family is all agp8x capable...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back