• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Geforce Fx AGP 8x

#1
Hi all, i have heard everywhere that the geforce fx will be AGP 8x will this work on my comp? my comp is a AGP 8x, some ppl have told me that its compatible but it will only run at 4x? is this true?

Also on Charts an stuff it was geforce fx = 1x/2x/3x/4/x/8x?

pls help
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#3
Originally posted by ste_w
Hi all, i have heard everywhere that the geforce fx will be AGP 8x will this work on my comp? my comp is a AGP 8x, some ppl have told me that its compatible but it will only run at 4x? is this true?

Also on Charts an stuff it was geforce fx = 1x/2x/3x/4/x/8x?

pls help
its possible what they meant is the performance difference from 4x to 8x is negligible so even @ running at 8x agp speed the performance will be the same as agp 4x speed...

this is true for any agp 8x card at the moment so don't worry too much about it...

it should work fine on an agp8x board... might need a bios upgrade but should be fine regardless..
 
#6
Few i was worried i wud have to upgrade my motherboard to agp 8x,

so any1 know where 2 get an easy £350 from for the geforce fx? lol

Thanx for ur help, so just confirm it again, the geforce fx agp 8x will run on my comp as mine is agp 4x? but will only run at 4x rite?

thanx
 

Kevin Ar18

OSNN Senior Addict
#8
Re: Re: Geforce Fx AGP 8x

Originally posted by Sazar
its possible what they meant is the performance difference from 4x to 8x is negligible so even @ running at 8x agp speed the performance will be the same as agp 4x speed...

this is true for any agp 8x card at the moment so don't worry too much about it...

it should work fine on an agp8x board... might need a bios upgrade but should be fine regardless..
Actually I have yet to see an adequate review comparing 4x and 8x. Most reviews use the old Geforce 4 cards (which I think it kind of pointless). I have yet to see one do a comparison with the Radeon 9700 card.

P.S. If anyone knows of such a review, I'd like to see it. I've been wanting to see how 4x and 8x compare on the Radeon 9700 for a while now.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#9
Re: Re: Re: Geforce Fx AGP 8x

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Actually I have yet to see an adequate review comparing 4x and 8x. Most reviews use the old Geforce 4 cards (which I think it kind of pointless). I have yet to see one do a comparison with the Radeon 9700 card.

P.S. If anyone knows of such a review, I'd like to see it. I've been wanting to see how 4x and 8x compare on the Radeon 9700 for a while now.
there are a lot of reviews... adequate too :)

the difference between agp4x and 8x is basically bandwidth... the extra bandwidth offered (off the top of my head I think it is 1.1gb/s v/s 2.1 gb/s 4x - 8x comparison) is suposted to alleviate the bottleneck that agp has...

the comparisons show the same exact thing... running the cards on agp4x v/s agp8x will NOT yield a performance difference because there is nothing currently being written that will utilise the extra bandwidth afforded...

I can't be bothered to check the reviews right now but you should try out www.anandtech.com www.rage3d.com (and do a search in their forums) www.tomshardwareguide.com and so on and so forth... even www.xbitlabs.com should have some info somewhere round their sites.. :)

its approaching midnight here thats why I don't want to go looking for the benches and what not pertaining to your question...

the gf4 lineup has agp8x compnonents now while the r300 family is all agp8x capable...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,017
Latest member
bettyicrewsi