Geforce fx 5800 ultra RUNNING SLOW!!

Originally posted by ste_w
wen i rebooted i followed the pny geforce fx manules instructions, it sed place the disk into the cd rom drive and click on windows xp under the heading geofrce fx5800 ultra drivers only, there number was 43.00, weni saw the demos running slow, i uninstalled them and installed the 43.45 ones, still i had the same problem, i have direct x 9.a installed an yes i have tried the card, on dx9 and dx8.1 and still the same, thing.

I recommend using another set of drivers.. the 43.45 seem to be another set of optimised for 3dmark03 drivers... some people have errors in games...

user the ones that came with the card or the 43.00 version... it should work fine with that...

the 5800 ultra also does have a safety feature in it... in 2d mode (in a windows environment) it runs @ 300mhz clock... supposedly though it does spin up on occasion.. you can tell if it is spinning up by listening to the fan..

when you play games the card clocks to 500mhz... but the safety feature I mentioned will knock down the speed BACK to 300mhz if the temperatures cross a certain point.. its called throttling back... to prevent damage...

I've read all u have done and yes.. your system should be fine...

the card should work perfectly fine in an agp 2.0 standard slot... it is designed to... agp 4x-8x makes no difference in performance... theoretical bandwidth increases but the program has to be able to USE this extra bandwidth... not much out there does this... incl games...

since the errors are reproduced with both the driver sets you have tried... just try older sets...

nvidia does not have WHQL approved drivers @ this time... so unfortunately there MAY be compatability issues with windows in certain areas...

if problems persist... RMA... there will be a few faulty 5800's... just like any other hardware product... hard luck if its bad... but you can get a new one eh.. no harm :)

dude your computer is laggin..... an ALI chipset (crap) 1.4ghz (quick but outdated for your videocard) my point is your computer is the bottle neck its choking your FX to death thats why you scores are low and the demo's chop up.

Originally posted by themafia_69
man they will tell u anything to make a sale.
it well never preform as well as it should on 4x if its made to run on 8x thats half of its power down the drain

think about it

Completely wrong. 8X is marketing hype right now. True, it does double the AGP bandwidth from 1.1 GB/s to 2.2 GB/s. But guess what? NOTHING out there will be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth. That's not the problem. Geez man, unless your positive don't be giving out false information.

Originally posted by Eck
Completely wrong. 8X is marketing hype right now. True, it does double the AGP bandwidth from 1.1 GB/s to 2.2 GB/s. But guess what? NOTHING out there will be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth. That's not the problem. Geez man, unless your positive don't be giving out false information.

:D

yup...

That isnt correct, If the available bandwidth is there it will be used because Software has no control over the AGP Banwidth from windows (to my knowledge)

Im sure a GF FX will give MUCH better results under an AGP 8x port on a FAST system (athlon 2000+ or P4 2ghz and Up) than an agp 2.0 port.

Originally posted by Flatbeat_Eddy
That isnt correct, If the available bandwidth is there it will be used because Software has no control over the AGP Banwidth from windows (to my knowledge)

Im sure a GF FX will give MUCH better results under an AGP 8x port on a FAST system (athlon 2000+ or P4 2ghz and Up) than an agp 2.0 port.

theoretically... yes... you are correct :)

however in practical applications this added bandwidth is not doing anything in terms of increased performance... hence why we concluded... as well as most other sites that deal with hardware related technical issues...

the extra bandwidth afforded has to be utilised effectively.. and the software to an extent will enable the USAGE of the extra data... it sounds daft I know.. and I can't very well explain it without actually demonstrating lol... but thats effectively what it is...

think of it as a 64bit processor using 64bit software v/s 32bit software... obviously it will perform better with software written for 64bit v/s that for 32bit :)

different scenarios to an extent but thats basically what is happening...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back