GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

With a slew of new games coming out I have been debating getting a new graphics card to replace my 6800 GT.

My question is how does this card stack up with my proccessor.. Its not a dual core and its something id really like to get with a new graphics card but i cant afford both.

here is the card in question on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

$279.99

($259.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Specs:

Leadtek PX6800-GTTDH GeForce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500DAA4BP - OEM

2 gigs ram

raid 0 array

Get a 640 meg version, or the 2900XT.

I wouldn't buy anything with less than 512MB if I was you.

And you will be severly processor limited :)

Agreed, get the 640MB version you would only be shooting yourself in the foot if you limited yourself to 320MB. Also, with the rediculously cheap prices on AMD cpu's you could get a 4800+ for a few nickels and some belly lint.

I was thinking about a 4800+ as i can grab one for 100 bucks. but is the extra ram in the card gona make a 100 dollar diffrence?

It depends what you would qualify as a 100 buck difference.

Personally, I would consider it a waste of money to go with anything less than 512 on a new card if you are spending that much anyways.

Heck, if you REALLY want, I can probably sell you my 1950xt for about a hundred bucks :) and you would have pretty decent performance in pretty much anything you want. Only thing is, it's a higher clocked version of the 256MB version.

690/1800 speeds.

And its only DX9, and not as fast as a 8800 GTS...

As far as extra Vram goes, it depends on what you will be doing and what games you want to play. If you are playing at high resolutions, enabling high levels of AA & AF... then yes it will make a massive difference in performance. Not to mention games that are coming out these days are using more Vram for just Textures and running shaders.

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to decide on what to do. I'm not very keen anymore on buying a first gen next gen card.

I usually stay in the midrange because I only game a little on my computer (have xbox360, wii, and ds, ps3 coming) and with as little a jump the 8600 GTS class is I think i'm waiting a little longer.

have a 7600 GT right now and I need to get something for a couple years but I'm very unimpressed right now in the midrange.

It's not just the CPU price. He will have to buy a new MB and new RAM to go with it unless he buys the more expensive socket 939 version.

That's 100+60+80 + 400 for a 640MB Vid Card. $640 total which is over twice what just the 320MB video card will cost.

Wait until the games come out. Prices are going nowhere but down. The 8x00 series cards are almost a year old now and if AMD/ATI ever fills out it's HD2xxx line Nvidia prices should drop.

PS 320 MB is pretty light for video RAM, 512 would be a lot better for the next generation games, 640 is probably overkill but the only choice for an 8800 card.

I think we were talking about the Socket 939 chip to begin with LeeJend, obviously since he does not have a AM2 setup it would be an absolute waste of money to go that route and upgrade Mobo + Ram in addition.

It's not just the CPU price. He will have to buy a new MB and new RAM to go with it unless he buys the more expensive socket 939 version.

That's 100+60+80 + 400 for a 640MB Vid Card. $640 total which is over twice what just the 320MB video card will cost.

Wait until the games come out. Prices are going nowhere but down. The 8x00 series cards are almost a year old now and if AMD/ATI ever fills out it's HD2xxx line Nvidia prices should drop.

PS 320 MB is pretty light for video RAM, 512 would be a lot better for the next generation games, 640 is probably overkill but the only choice for an 8800 card.

I allready have a socket 939 mobo so thats not the issue. But i think im gona wait tell bioshock comes out to buy anything new. So we will see.

Thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back