Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS Launched

I almost forgot about the CSS benchmark :)

These numbers should speak for themselves. First test run was done at 1680x1050 w/ 0AA 2xAF. Second test run was done at the same resolution but with 4xAA and 16xAF in game settings. You can obviously see the cpu bottleneck since the fps at both runs exactly the same (.2 fps difference)

Test run 1 Settings:

Test run 1 Score:

Test run 2 Settings:

Test run 2 Score:
http://imageshack.us

okay, the news about nwn2 means that as soon as I've moved house and got settled I'm going nforce 680i sli and 8800gtx :)

Though I've played it so much lately I'm now staring at an impression of the spell bar on the bottom left of my lcd screen :p Few more days of other things and the burn-in should have gone :D

Just configured a computer with SLI 8800gtx cards.
Configured, not built.
If i ever build it, it will be a beast

OMGF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

He didn't actually buy it.... Look I can go to newegg add two of them to my basket, hey I configured it!

If you do buy a single GTS or higher (SLi, GTX) Make sure you have a good cpu to support it. Even my 4800 is holding my GTS back. I went back to OC my cpu last night since I had reset it back to stock speeds when I got my GTS just to reduce problems. I did a 200 mhz per core overlcock and gained about 5% in performance all around in the tests I have done. That CSS score I posted about earlier increased slightly more from an 177avg to 199avg with the OC. Just shows how much of a CPU bottleneck my system is now.

Last edited:
Re: Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS Launch Delayed...

I posted a news article for this on the front page, the system in the pic is Mike Chambers, the guy who runs nvnews. You should really check out some of the sytems there.

Venturi, another poster, has dual-dual core Opterons, 16gb of memory and sli'd 8800 gtx's :smoker:

Pretty impressive hardware.

Jesus Chr......:eek:

He didn't actually buy it.... Look I can go to newegg add two of them to my basket, hey I configured it!

If you do buy a single GTS or higher (SLi, GTX) Make sure you have a good cpu to support it. Even my 4800 is holding my GTS back. I went back to OC my cpu last night since I had reset it back to stock speeds when I got my GTS just to reduce problems. I did a 200 mhz per core overlcock and gained about 5% in performance all around in the tests I have done. That CSS score I posted about earlier increased slightly more from an 177avg to 199avg with the OC. Just shows how much of a CPU bottleneck my system is now.
Want to shell that 4800+ to me real cheap? No questions asked ;)

you'll be wanting Core 2 Duo's to get the best out of the 8800 series at the moment. AMD cpu's just cant shift the data which is unusual since HT can shift more data than the Intel FSB :)

Core 2's are actually quite affordable. The E6600 which is the C2D of choice (great OC'er and stock performance) is just over $300 which is not that bad at all. Granted, you will need to buy a new mobo and ram if you are a current AMD64 user, but even then you could build a decent C2D rig for under 1k.

Core 2's are actually quite affordable. The E6600 which is the C2D of choice (great OC'er and stock performance) is just over $300 which is not that bad at all. Granted, you will need to buy a new mobo and ram if you are a current AMD64 user, but even then you could build a decent C2D rig for under 1k.
yeah that is all i was getting at is that i would require an entirely new setup. departing from my amd 64 :(

yeah that is all i was getting at is that i would require an entirely new setup. departing from my amd 64 :(

Yeah I hear ya, I keep hoping AMD is gonna pull a rabbit out of their hat and blow everyone away. Wishful thinking :)

I'm not saying 1k is cheap its just for the performance you get its a fantastic deal though. I have toyed with the idea of building a new system and making myself a quad core system. Since I would see huge benefits from the four cores. However my more reasonable side has convinced me to wait until my rig is painfully outdated or at least something much much better comes out. (back to my first AMD statement :p)

I have had some fun with temperatures tonight, just for fun I wanted to see how low I could get the idle temp. I cranked the fan up to 100% and turned all my case fans to 12v and left my window wide open. With a ambient room temp of 54 degrees f (12.2c) and a ambient case temp of 78f (25.5c) I was able to get a idle gpu temp of 115f (46c). Before with all my fans at their normal settings it usually idles at 55 - 57c.

I cant wait to get a waterblock for this card, the only thing I'm worried about is having my AMD 4800 and this 8800 in the same loop. I'm only on a dual 80mm radiator. During this testing my CPU only got down to 86f (30c) and I have CnQ enabled....

I might wait a while before I get a new card.

Teh wimens is teh expensive :(

Lol, plus uni load just went up ;)

Priorities.

That and I want to see what the r600 will do and what the k8l procs will perform like.

The quad core AMD's suck... at least they will until we get more programs that can take advantage of a CPU like that. I think its ahead of it's time and that is NOT good.

I am definitely switching to Conroe if I don't just buy a $170 65nm 4000+ that fits in my motherboard...

Actually I should clarify my opinion..they are very fast CPUs but for the price & power usage they are not really worth it compared to the cheaper & more efficient Core 2 Duo...

The quad core amd proc sucks because of its marchitecture in relation to the intel core2 x 2 (quad) proc.

It does have some decent features but it looks like a shoddy dual-dual core configuration with clever marketing to suggest that its actually a "true" quad core.

Its a fast proc, as you say, but I agree, definitely not worth it in relation to the core2 based procs out right now. And once intel releases updated procs, AMD is going to be hurting a little.

Good thing for them that they generate so much margin per proc, else they would be biting it.

Hey Merry Christmas one and all , I got a brand spanking new BFG 8800GTS!!

YEAH BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• BFG 8800GTS.jpg
    BFG 8800GTS.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 129
grats! what cpu do you have?

Ill venture a guess in the x2 4600 area :)

Muuuuuuhahahahhaha

:dead: yep thats the one

Even comes with a BFG Tech black T-Shirt with the same picture you see on the card the guy holding his head ...on the back of the shirt WAY COOL!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back