Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS Launched

Woo! Ok, I got everything installed and running smoothly. I ran some quick benchies and my god is it sweet. :)

I play some NWN2 as well, with my old card I ran on low settings and got high teens to low thirties. Now I run it maxed out at 35+ fps

I will post more info as I run more games and stuff.

awesome, I could legitimize that purchase if I had a better CPU & RAM than my AMD64 3000+ and 1GB of DDR400 :(

I'm still doing benchmarks and playing with overclocks. When I get a solid amount of results to show I will share them. However, did find this bizzare bug in the Nvidia Control panel.

wtffz8.jpg

Load the Farsi language version. It probably has the english title and description...

Or cut and paste it into the google translator.

Ok, well after all day of playing/testing and a brief scare I have some benchmark numbers to share.

benchmarksni7.jpg
benchmarkszz8.jpg

The scare was that when I was playing with the OC of the 8800 I used a beta version of ATItools that people are using for the 8800 series. Well when I used the "find max core" function that it offers my frequency just kept going up and up and up till my computer froze (around 700mhz core). When I rebooted all my frequencies were back to normal, but my 3d performance was back to about where it was when I had my 6800 installed plus I was having some artifacts in game. Needless to say I thought I had fried my card, but after removing the drivers and uninstalling the card then reinstalling it everything was back to normal, and of course I went back to Overclocking :D

I might be able to get a higher overclock, but I want to wait for slightly more mature drivers/ntune as well as a decent waterblock to come out.

Last edited:
Triple actually, but who's counting (other than me). Keep the 8800 reviews coming. Someday I might work up the courage to get another new video card. (Still whining about the x800 experience.)

you used an ATI tool for a $500 Nvidia card? Man you are brave.

What were the GPU temp's at 500 and 650?

Wow, that's an impressive increase. I'm dying to see the delta from a DX9 card to the DX10 card using a DX10 benchmark (other than 3dmark0x). That is going to be interesting.

Double posted in the forum, performance wise both benchmarks were over 325% higher than my 6800 GT. If I had a C2D system it should be closer to 400% or higher.

With an average room temp of 74f (23c) the 8800 GTS at stock speeds idles at around 124f (51c). I briefly checked under fullload and it was around 176f (80c). So it runs cooler than my 6800 GT did at idle, and a tad higher under load. While overclocking with the same room temp the idle increased slightly to 131f (55-56c). I have not yet had a chance to check load temps while overclocked.

Well, ATI tool has always been able to be used on Nvidia hardware. Its just that a lot of the features wont work. You can still change clock speeds, artifact scan, burn in and monitor temps in it. With the latest beta you can use it on the 8800 series GPU's. A lot of people are using ATI tool since its the first third party app to support OC the 8800's. Since most people don't want to use Ntune (I dont blame them either...)

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/259

Well, I have to go to work and obviously tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I may or may not having more benchmarks to show till the weekend.

Aprox,

While those are outstanding numbers... you are by NO MEANS seeing an actual 300%+ gain... not even close... However... You are seeing an increase in a benchmark number NOT in actual performance...

(its semantics in wording)

If you told me your 6800GT was seeing 35 FPS in "XYZ" game and then you ran your new card at the same specifications and then it ran at *slowly does math in head* 105 FPS THEN, and ONLY then could I even begin to agree with you...

Dont confuse those who havent dealt with overclocking in believeing they will see a 300%+ gain by changing the cards.. even in your nicely setup rig...

careful in your wording Danielsan!

:D

just my humble $.02

Mike A!

Last edited:
mlakrid, you're correct. I was not implying that I was getting those gains in real world tests, however I should have worded that better to get that point across.

Although, in some tests I have gained close to that much performance. In X3 for example which I just fired up last night before I went to bed. I used to get in the 25 - 35fps range, now with 16xAF and 4xAA on as well I get almost 200fps! So... I think it really depends on the game, but in reality this card really does almost deliver 300% over a 6800 GT. Also keep in mind, this card is three generations newer. I have gained significant amounts of performance at equal settings in other games too, for example Neverwinter Nights 2, I went from high teens low thirties to 60fps (vsync). That right there is a hefty increase, and with vsync enabled obviously it locks at my LCD refresh rate of 60hz.

My performance would be even higher if I had a Core 2 Duo system, for relativity people with C2D setups get closer to 20k in 3dmark 05. However you are correct, you need the entire pie to be able to enjoy it. I wouldnt even begin to think about purchasing one of these if you have a Athon 64 3500 or lower. Even then, you would be significantly CPU limited.

mlakrid, you're correct. I was not implying that I was getting those gains in real world tests, however I should have worded that better to get that point across.

Although, in some tests I have gained close to that much performance. In X3 for example which I just fired up last night before I went to bed. I used to get in the 25 - 35fps range, now with 16xAF and 4xAA on as well I get almost 200fps! So... I think it really depends on the game, but in reality this card really does almost deliver 300% over a 6800 GT. Also keep in mind, this card is three generations newer. I have gained significant amounts of performance at equal settings in other games too, for example Neverwinter Nights 2, I went from high teens low thirties to 60fps (vsync). That right there is a hefty increase, and with vsync enabled obviously it locks at my LCD refresh rate of 60hz.

My performance would be even higher if I had a Core 2 Duo system, for relativity people with C2D setups get closer to 20k in 3dmark 05. However you are correct, you need the entire pie to be able to enjoy it. I wouldnt even begin to think about purchasing one of these if you have a Athon 64 3500 or lower. Even then, you would be significantly CPU limited.

ALRIGHT... now THATS what I am talking about... out of curiosity, do you have CSS? Do you play regularly? I want to know because I believe I am near the end of my current system... and I am contemplating building a new rig... these numbers ALMOST make me want to run these puppies in SLI

although being honest to myself the difference in numbers between a single and SLI would not justify the cost

:D

I do have CSS, Zeke and I used to play it all the time but in recent months we don't really play it that often anymore. When I get home tonight I can run the CSS benchmark a few times and let you know how it runs. I can pretty much tell you right now that game on my system will be hitting a CPU bottleneck though.

Oh, another example of performance. In BF2142 With particle & shadows on medium and the bloom lighting off with 0AF/0AA I was getting 20 - 40fps depending on situation. Now with everything maxed out 16AF and 4xAA I'm getting 100fps or so, sometimes higher sometimes it dips down to 80 - 90. Oh no!! :D

jeez what a friggin jump. To be honest, I would upgrade to the card if it wasnt even faster than the 7950... and it was just the DX10 they had. The image quality for games like Crysis / Flight Sim X are amazing. That increase in performance is exactly what I would see if I upgraded from my 6800GT OC.

How much can I pick up an AMD X2 4800+ and an extra gig of Corsair DDR400 memory for? That is definitely my most needed upgrade....

The IQ of everything is just gorgeous. Crank it up to 16xAF and it looks breathtaking. The new image quality of 8800 surpases ATI's HQ AF, with hardly any performance hit. Officially, Nvidia the way its meant to be played. :)

Well Newegg has the 4800 for $279 but they are out of stock at the moment. You can look around the other sites and probably find it for the same or cheaper. Even with that awesome CPU you will still be holding this monster GPU back however, so if you can maybe you should build a new Intel Core 2 system.

Ram is easy and cheap, a single stick 1GB stick of Corsair XMS is ~$140 but once again, if you shop around or go with Corsair Value you can cut that price down a hefty amount.

Well this is exactly what I purchased like almost two years ago..

Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB DDR400 PC3200 XMS Memory w/Heat Spreader

And I would like to keep it the same so I have perfect stability. It has to be CHEAP!

On NewEgg there was a $199 FX55 for Socket 939 that came with a free Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM , is that worth $199???

BTW I am upgrading from an AMD 64 3000+ that gets a 3.7 CPU rating in Vista. My 2.0Ghz Core Duo laptop gets a 4.9...... ugh.

Well the FX55 is a solid single core performer, however you might want to go dual core. In the coming months/years games will start using multiple cores, some already are. (Oblivion, Gothic 3, Unreal 3 engine games, etc). Not to mention the general system performance increases as well as the ability to multi task like a champ. That is a good deal for the HD+CPU but I think you will be kicking yourself for not buying a dual core later on down the road.

Yeah. I do enjoy the dual core in my laptop. however I wont be getting a deal on that 250GB Barracuda which I could really utilize. I am just looking for something to tide me over and I am OK with not having dual core just yet. The prices are way too high.

The total just came to $334 with the extra gig of identical memory. I am going to mull it over...

Why does World of Warcraft run so much smoother on ATI cards (in reference to the [H] review)? It's bizarre. Sorry about the wayside comment, but I've played it both on NVidia and ATI cards and for some reason my X800 blows away my 7800 in performance in that one game, but loses every other matchup. The difference seems to have carried on in the 8800s; anyone with mad technical skills know why this is?

It could just be that the game has a lot of optimizations for ATI hardware, but not so much for Nvidia. Its really anyone's guess why it is.

I completely forgot that I took some photos when I got the card. Also there are some comparison shots to my 6800 GT.

One of my new kittens lazily investigates this new beast

8800 GTS sitting next to my 6800 GT with a NV5 silencer on it. Both sitting on top of my 17" Widescreen Laptop.

Finally, The system up and running with the 8800 GTS installed. I need to clean my side panel :lick:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back