Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS Launched

Well I couldn't wait any longer, I gave in and purchased a XFX 8800 GTS. It should be getting here next week... I will be sure to let you guys know how it works out. (in between the sweet sweet gaming that is)

Total came to ~$515 shipped. A bit more than I wanted to pay... but I figured I would splurge just a bit. :)

Yes I am gonna go for the GTX got 3 machines sold this week so the extra cash aint a problem

Well I cant really afford the GTX, plus I don't think its really necessary at the moment either. The GTS has more than adequate performance for modern games, and I would say the next gen games. At least at the resolution I will be running at.

wow! youre the first i know to own DirectX 10 hardware :)

BTW, good choice going for GTS... the hardware is the same I think. I am pretty sure you can do an "unlock" to bump it to GTX specification..

Heh, well I might write up a short little review or something... not that there is a shortage of those on the net right now though. :p

Yeah, in a perfect world I would buy the GTX... :)

This is kinda a graduation gift for myself too, today was my last day of class. :)

The GTS is probably the better buy. It's what I'd go for if I was rich like you guys. ;)

Though the GTX is the first time that I remember seeing the top end card price delta actually a lower percentage than the performance delta. The GTX actually does provide more bang for the buck.

Looking forward to a real hands on report on the GTS.

From what I have read, the GTS is easily overclocked to GTX performance despite the physical difference's between the cards. Although there is speculation this is because DX9 is really not using the HW to its potential. Which I think might go without saying, but in a more technical sense, perhaps only a fraction of the stream processors are being used for DX9.

I guess we will truly see the differences between the two GPU's when Vista & DX10 makes its way to our HD's next year. However, knowing Nvidia they will most likely have a product refresh just in time for Vista/DX. 8900 GTX with GDDR4 and 1gb of ram anyone?

Last edited:
If folks are concerned with bang for buck pcick up an X1950*

else go for the GTX, I dont see much point in the GTS over the X1950.

I'll be getting the GTX as soon as I've moved house and funds have settled down :)

If folks are concerned with bang for buck pcick up an X1950*

else go for the GTX, I dont see much point in the GTS over the X1950.

I'll be getting the GTX as soon as I've moved house and funds have settled down :)

The GTS blows the x1950 away dude... maybe X1950 in crossfire comes close to it... but I disagree with the x1950 being a better deal, especially considering its still $400+. The GTS is more expensive sure... but its a hell of a lot more future proof.

Here is a page from HardOCP's 8800 series review.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxOCwxMCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

Look at the numbers, and the settings they could run the hardware at. The x1950 runs at much lower settings with lower framerates.

Last edited:
The 8-Series is the absolute fastest card, and is absolutely the best bang-for-buck set of cards out there. R600 is going to have to be a MONSTER to even compete with those figures/prices. Is it even DX10? Jeez.

I love competition, by the way.

It is dx10, i.e. supports most of the features AFAIK.

The r600 is being touted as fully compliant, whether this means compliance like r3xx v/s nv3x, I dunno.

The tech on the r600 sounds really good. MY next video card will be a folding unit by itself, really keen to see if the g8x cards are going to be able to f@ld :D

Looks like I wont be getting it till the 27th due to Thanksgiving being this week. Kinda a long wait, but I think I can take it. Besides I will be distracted with family and stuff.

I will let you guys know when I get it, and give some preliminary numbers. I might even run some benchmarks on my current rig before then and put them up here.

It is dx10, i.e. supports most of the features AFAIK.

The r600 is being touted as fully compliant, whether this means compliance like r3xx v/s nv3x, I dunno.

The tech on the r600 sounds really good. MY next video card will be a folding unit by itself, really keen to see if the g8x cards are going to be able to f@ld :D
I just heard the R600 will have 512bit external bus... that sounds like a GIG of RAM versus 768 on the 8800GTX.

the way the 8800GTX works is 12-32bit chips, which come to a total of 384bits of bandwidth. I can only assume they are smart enough to use the same manufacturer for the memory, so it must be the same 32-bit 64MB chips.. must be a gig's worth then. 512bits / 32 bits = 16 * 32mb = 1024. I am such an overanalyzer ..haha

I imagine by the time ATI releases their R600 along with Windows Vista Nvidia will release new cards as well. Like I said earlier, 8900 GTS/GTX with 768/1024 GDDR 4 respectively. Perhaps even a die shrink as well. Atleast this would be the smart move by Nvidia, they have the lead right now and I'm sure they did this just to hook people. The "real" DX10 video cards will be out early next year. [disclaimer]I'm not saying the 8800's are not real DX10 cards[/disclaimer]

So I get up this morning and check my UPS tracking info and it says "Out for Delivery" even though it wasn't supposed to be here until the 27th. I suppose there is still a chance it might not come today... *knock on wood*

I'm so excited now! Good thing I did my synthetic benchmarks with my 6800 GT last night.

8800sx1.jpg

Well, UPS does this to me alll the time. They have an estimated delivery day, but a few days before it I will see the Out-For-Delivery note and I get excited. They always deliver that day - because if it gets put on the truck, they are not going to take it off at the end of the day. The driver won't go home until the packages are delivered - at least 99 out of 100 cases... Have fun with it :D

Aprox wanted me to tell you all that hes installing his card right now and will post from it in a second :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back