GeForce 6800

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ok, Ok, Ok I know this is the MILLIONTH thread that people have asked the same questions over and over again. But this is a few days before i'm ordering and with the current money situation, i'm wondering:

1) Is it worth the extra £100-150 to go for a 6800 Ultra instead of a 6800gt?

2) What makes should I avoid? (I've been looking at the BFG models, heard quite good things)

Thanks a lot and Merry christmas

not worth it really to pay that much more for the ultra v/s GT...

they all follow the same basic design so generally go for the better package/price ratio's... the extra goodies and warranties on some manufacturer's packages are worth it...

Not really sure if it is as I think you may be able to overclock the GT to Ultra speed.

These specs may have changed but this is what Nvidia first said about the two and they are about the same except the ultra is higher core/clock.

GeForce 6800 Ultra - 400MHz Core, 550MHz GDDR3 Memory (256MB), 16 Pipelines.

GeForce 6800 GT - 350MHz Core, 500MHz GDDR3 Memory (256MB), 16 Pipelines.

Now BFG factory overclocks a lot of their products so the 6800 GT they have may already be close to Ultra speeds.

With MOT and insurance the likes around the corner waiting to jump out and kill me, I think it might be worth me getting a BFG 6800 GT OC
It comes as a 370mhz core speed, surely this could be overclocked further? (don't know anything about overclocking mind you, anyone oced any of the gts?)

Thanks guys :) even on christmas day i can rely on the great minds of the osnn lot

ya. i'm still debating between the BFG 6800GT OC, the XFX 6800GT, or the GigaByte 6800GT (though LA doesn't like it much that i'm even considering a Gigabyte product. i've never had a problem with their stuff though)

I think... I'm going to go with the BFG 6800 GT oc to save me some money, Thank guys :D That'll be ordered in a week's time and on it's way. Any one know any interesting reads on overclocking the 6800s?

[Edit] I'd give rep sazar and zombie but "i've got to spread it around" shows how much you guys have helped me recently, thanks [/edit]

Moonwraith said:
With MOT and insurance the likes around the corner waiting to jump out and kill me, I think it might be worth me getting a BFG 6800 GT OC
It comes as a 370mhz core speed, surely this could be overclocked further? (don't know anything about overclocking mind you, anyone oced any of the gts?)
There is a review of the BFG 6800 GT OC here.
They used Coolbits to overclock it further then it comes from the factory (toward end of review).

I personally think it's worth it if you want to squeeze just a bit more especially with games that actually use the technology ... but for the sake of practicallity ... no.

Just ditch the stock fan anyway and get an artic cooling 5, tis a right beauty :p

yea, this was just explained that there isnt much difference in my other thread. Don't spend that extra money!

Electronic Punk said:
Just ditch the stock fan anyway and get an artic cooling 5, tis a right beauty :p

you can do that with a GT too :cool:

but is the ultra worth 100-150 quid more than a GT?

;)

most places u look say it's the Ultra's not worth the extra money, cause usually you can OC the GT to Ultra speeds or slightly higher and still run stable, just at a tad higher temp if i remember correctly.

Well i've checked into the review, what did they get it to 435mhz which is over the Ultra, sounds good to me :D and messed with coolbits

p.s. Anyone ever successfully overclocked a Ti4200? (don't wanna mess anything up, was wondering what sort of thresholds are safe)

Yeah well you're just showing off with your snazzy 6800 Ultra, I would like one for the whole "check this out" factor, but naah can't afford it i don't think heh

Electronic Punk said:
Bling factor definatly :D

just wait till the nextgen a64 boards and the pci-E cards are more widely available :D

yer gonna be blingin from the neck down in places the sun don't shine it would seem ;)

I will buy the one after that.
I normally upgrade every other generation.

Sadly, that normally is the first-attempt-generation and it all goes tits up.

lol ah well, I wish i could afford all these upgrades, 5 days of education a week gets in my way heh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back