GeForce 3 Upgrade Question....

Silverado2000

OSNN Junior Addict
I'm considering upgrading to a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 from my current video card, which is a first generation GeForce 3.....not a Ti200 or a Ti500. My question is, would I see a noticeable difference in speed?. I just bought a new game....RallySport Challenge by Microsoft and it appears that the video card is choking. I should have plenty enough processor speed to run this game very smoothly. I was just wondering what you guys think. Thx

You might see a small performance gain, but first I would recommend defragging and such, then try and run the game.

Also at the mo the king of the gfx cards is the
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
so getting that would future proof your PC a bit more than a Geforce4, or you can hold out for the nexgen Geforce the GeForceFX though that one will be pricey.

You could also try updating the detenator drivers,if you hav,nt done so already. I have noticed some good gains with both my ge-force 2 pro and my ge-force 3 ti-200. also you could try o clocking youre card maybe 10-15%.

Originally posted by Silverado2000
I'm considering upgrading to a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 from my current video card, which is a first generation GeForce 3.....not a Ti200 or a Ti500. My question is, would I see a noticeable difference in speed?. I just bought a new game....RallySport Challenge by Microsoft and it appears that the video card is choking. I should have plenty enough processor speed to run this game very smoothly. I was just wondering what you guys think. Thx

yes you would see a nice increase.. the gf4 does more than the g3... architecture has some tweaks though essentially using similar processes... and clock speeds are way higher...

for the same price as a ti4600 you may want to consider either a radeon 9500 PRO or a regular non-PRO radeon 9700... more future proof and better all around performance for same price...

the first gen g3 is a good card... can still play games with it... but not @ high res/full options...

The Nvidia 4600 is a better card then the GF3. Not a HUGE increase, but for things such a benchmarking, and playing games at high resolution, as well with all settings cranked up to max, I do believe you will see a difference.

But if you really want to upgrade, screw the 4600, and the Radeon 9000 and 9700, wait for the new Nvidia card, nvidia FX I believe.

Originally posted by Nick M
The Nvidia 4600 is a better card then the GF3. Not a HUGE increase, but for things such a benchmarking, and playing games at high resolution, as well with all settings cranked up to max, I do believe you will see a difference.

But if you really want to upgrade, screw the 4600, and the Radeon 9000 and 9700, wait for the new Nvidia card, nvidia FX I believe.

:) you mean the paperforce...

One thing to remember is the GF3's are lot more stable/forgiving than the GF4's. Check out some of the gaming forums, the amount of people having problems (lock-ups, stuttering etc.) with the GF4's is staggering. Battlefield 1942 folks are really in a bind.

And in their haste to out-do ATI, I fear NVIDIA's latest will continue in this buggy tradition. Something's not right when a company seemds to come out with new drivers on an almost daily basis.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back