Geforce 2 mx200 Upgrade Options?

J

Jason2k1

I am thinking of upgrading the video card that came with my system. it is a geforce 2 mx200. I have been lookin at geforce 4 as a possibility, but i am unsure whether or not to wait for the geforce fx. Or could you suggest any other decent video cards for me? My budget is about £150. Also does anyone know anywhere cheap to get video cards?

Thanks in Advance

Jason

you can try www.dabs.com and that £150 will get you a nice GF4 TI4200 and some change :)

no point waiting for GF FX with £150, rrp is £300+.

if you want to save for a GF FX, then buy a gf4 mx440 for value, it will be about 3 times better than that old gf2 anyway :) and cost under £50 at the right place.

It would be useful to know the specs for the rest of your system. Upgrading the graphics card of an old computer won't improve things much.

Ok, my specs are:

1.5ghz p4
256 mb sdram(upgading to 512mb or more very soon)
Audigy 2
16x dvd rom
12x8x32x cdrw
40 gb hard drive
XP Home Edition
Geforce 2 mx 200 32mb

If you don't want to spend lots of money, get a Geforce 4200 128MB. You'll see a huge change.

Originally posted by GoNz0
you can try www.dabs.com and that £150 will get you a nice GF4 TI4200 and some change :)

no point waiting for GF FX with £150, rrp is £300+.

if you want to save for a GF FX, then buy a gf4 mx440 for value, it will be about 3 times better than that old gf2 anyway :) and cost under £50 at the right place.

thing is.. the gf2 and the gf4 mx cards are the same thing... just rebadged with a few changes...

both are dx 7 parts m8... no point really getting a gf4 MX card...

for the biggest boost... consider buying a radeon 9500pro... for the price of a ti 4200card you will get a product that will out perform the gf4 ti 4600... the 9500pro has the best bang for the buck on the market currently... I just can't see the pro 128mb version in any of the uk stores I have looked :)

personally I say wait coz when the gf FX drops most cards should have their prices fall anyways... if you'eve waited this long give it another month or so... then the gf FX might come out... depends on if it is delayed or not... if it does not come out you can always buy the 9500pro or lesser cards...

hate to differ, but i sell 10x more gf4 mx cards than TI series, why, because they hold a good frame rate in games mate, thats somthing a gf2 will never do lol

hate to differ, but i sell 10x more gf4 mx cards than TI series, why, because they hold a good frame rate in games mate, thats somthing a gf2 will never do lol

they are basically for all intents and purposes the same thing...

people also tend to buy based on what they think they are getting...

rebadge those same cards as gf2mx ULTRA's or whatever that they really should be and you will see their true selling power...

the gf4 MX cards are not very powerful... the gf4ti's are more expensive and that makes a HUGE difference in a persons decision... if more people were educated about what they are really buying... I doubt you would have that 10-1 ratio of gf4 mx to gf4 ti cards :)

they are a little faster than the gf2's for sure... but architecturally they are practically the same thing...

sorry i should explain, im on about PC n00b's, try and tell em its going to double the system price to put a high end card in and they pick the MX series, and if its a jazzed up version of a GF2 fair enough, they must have stuck a rocket up it compared to my old GF4 mx card LOL 95 fps in medal of honor with GF4MX, 15-25 with GF2 mx

and im a serious gamer and run a TI4600 until my GF FX arrives, the average end user can live without the advanced features a TI card carries, specially as half of em stand there and give you a blank look when you go into the tech side of it LOL.

fair enough the MX will be pants again in a year, but try and tell that the average jo and they wouldnt buy a pc in the 1st place would they...

sorry i should explain, im on about PC n00b's, try and tell em its going to double the system price to put a high end card in and they pick the MX series, and if its a jazzed up version of a GF2 fair enough, they must have stuck a rocket up it compared to my old GF4 mx card LOL 95 fps in medal of honor with GF4MX, 15-25 with GF2 mx

and im a serious gamer and run a TI4600 until my GF FX arrives, the average end user can live without the advanced features a TI card carries, specially as half of em stand there and give you a blank look when you go into the tech side of it LOL.

fair enough the MX will be pants again in a year, but try and tell that the average jo and they wouldnt buy a pc in the 1st place would they...

yup... :) and thats part of the problem... but I guess it keeps people selling pc parts employed... all the n00bs buying crud that was outdated a while back already..

also there are many gf4 MX cards... the top end one is pretty juiced up compared to the other 2... the lower end gf4 mx cards are slow as molases... faster than the gf2 for sure... but still slow...the highend one is pretty decent for the low end user though...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back