Gator Installer Plugin Allows Any Software to be Installed Remotely

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
Gator installer plugin for Internet Explorer (GAIN) suffers from a security hole that allows an attacker to install any software without the user's knowledge or need of interaction

Vulnerable systems:
Gator version 3.0.6.1

The issue here is that any HTML page can specify the location of the Gator installation file. The installation file is downloaded, and then it is checked for the filename. If the filename is setup.ex_, it is then decompressed and executed. If the file is not compressed it will still execute it. Of course using this method, a malicious user can easily create an HTML page that makes use of the rogue ActiveX component to point at a Trojan file.

I refuse to show the link to where I got this information publicly as it shows the details of the exploit. Contact me if you want more information.

Has anyone here actually USED gator for anything useful? alot of anti-virus companies now classify it as a trojan...which is basically all it is anyway, just more spyware they people unknowingly install.

I don't think anyone that knows enough to post on an information forum would have anything to do with gator, so you're asking in the wrong place

I like Gator

What's the big deal? Gator is a very handy utility on my setups, and I've been using it for quite a while. It saves me lots of trouble, and no headaches, no ads, etc. Does just what I want it to do.

Bob

Gator

I've done a little research. Gator no longer installs the evil install file, it was from eons ago, and few people probably have it.

The alledged 'spyware' features of Gator do not seem to actually exist. Nor does it 'pop up' ads, and if it does, my firewall/AdSubtract combo kills all pop up ads anyway without having to set up any barred IPs or anything like that.

So...in the end, I'm quite happy with Gator.

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back