gateway computers

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I just have to say, what a turn around for this company

I was rue to purchase a gateway, but at the time they bought emachine who were the only peeps that had a 64 bit laptop\

man, I hated buying a gateway, but I swollowed my apprehension and got it.

it's been about a year, and every issue I've had they resolved with a cheery face.

granted, the i t people usually just look it up and read it back to me, but when they can't find the answer, they get someone who knows more

the best part has been their unfaltering willingness to replace parts without raising an eyebrow.

the bad news is the actual hardware as far as case and power supplies were noy well designed, for instance the hinges are made with a plastic casing which breaks and the power supply needs to be handled carefully otherwise it needs replacement.

now I've always had issues like this with every laptop and I've had just about every one, dell, hp and compact when they were separate, ibm, emachine (if you can believe it, my e-machine laptop had the best over all quality out of the box)

so it's no surprise a design has flaws...but the company better make good on the flaws and gateway does, no questions asked

these are known issues and they just send you new stuff when it arises

gonna be sending this box off to be renewed, new battery, new transformer, new case for the entire box, free of charge, no charge for shipping.

but it's gonna take 2 to three weeks, so am gonna get a replacement in teh mean time.

I'm just sayin

gateway has turned their repution around in my eyes

I never liked Gateway. It's always been one of those Dell Gateway type things. Dell has always been, and will always be the better computer ..

I agree johnny, but they have made a turn around in my book, dell always being a better choice if you can make it

but dell didn't have the 64 bit laptop at the time

my next will be dual core 64...again, no dell for that

You have to wait for Merom for that to happen.

Depends on if you are looking for better battery life or not essentially. Intel still has the best mobile procs on the market. Not 64-bit but yonah is hands down a better product for the mobile market.

yeah.... Gateway may be nice..... but i find it funny how they didn't know why the EZTune software for the monitor i have crashes my computer every time i run it. and i don't mean the "BSOD.... easy to discover the problem with the error code" crash...... i mean the full out lock-up requiring the 3-second power button hold or reset button press. i mean yeah, it's probably not a bad company.... but when i say to their tech support "Why does the EZTune software that came bundled with my monitor make my computer freeze up completely?", the only thing they could point me to was a support page showing it's compatible resolutions and refresh rates....... yeah.... that helped me a LOT.

perris said:
gonna be sending this box off to be renewed, new battery, new transformer, new case for the entire box, free of charge, no charge for shipping.

Nice, wish I could get Compaq to renew my laptop. The case is showing wear and tear, just fading in a one spot. It's already almost three years old tho.

Admiral Michael said:
Nice, wish I could get Compaq to renew my laptop. The case is showing wear and tear, just fading in a one spot. It's already almost three years old tho.
if you get a laptop you should ALWAYS get the extended warrantee, cuz it's only gonna last a year

perris said:
if you get a laptop you should ALWAYS get the extended warrantee, cuz it's only gonna last a year

I do, it ends this sept 16th. :s

I recommend extended warrenties to everyone who gets a laptop. A year after my initial warenty ended my hard drive died so the 150 I spent on the warrenty was already used and was worth it.

I should see if I can extend it another year or two again. It's very handy to have. I doubt they will allow me to buy another, I seem to recall Compaq saying I could only extend the original warrenty.

But can I have them renew the case and such?

Remember when Gateway was so HOT back in the mid 90's.. My first PC was a Gateway and it was difficult with the on board video. The warranty ran out two days before the hard drive went belly up. Its really whats under the hood that counts and not the label. Start with the motherboard and work your way out. Gateways in my opinion are not very compatible with parts, compatability. Real tight inside those cases and hard working on them. Build your own and put a PERRIS sticker on the case. :)

TigerDirect
NewEgg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back