Gateway Audio Driver randomly disappeared

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Wow...

I thought I was only having this problems when it comes to some of the Dell machines, but now I'm having this issue on our brand new Gateway machine at our firehouse. The gateway machine is Model # GT5238E. I found out that a few days ago, someone went to change the volume and it says that there is no audio driver installed. I attempted to go to Gateway's site and download a driver... I thought I got the one I needed, but everytime I try installing the AC97 Audio Driver it says that the device isn't installed.

Then I noticed a popup about Intel Audio... I attempted to download the file for that, but again for some reason or another it's not installing it. First of all, on that model computer, what Audio Driver should I be downloading? Second of all, what other kinds of things can I check to see why this isn't installed? When I try to detect new hardware, nothing is being found. There are "Audio Codecs" installed but I can't see anything else that would reference any sort of driver.

I'm really at a loss. This is a brand new computer and I have a lot of people who are looking up to me to get this resolved, but I've tried the things that I can think of.

Any ideas? You'll get a cookie if you help me fix it. ;)

ub_clear.gif

Application and Driver Recovery Using Gateway System Recovery Windows XP

Application and Driver Recovery launches the Application Recovery Program, which can be used to reinstall applications and drivers. To start the Application Recovery Program, use the following steps:
  1. From the Start menu, point to All Programs, System Recovery, and then click Application and Driver Recovery.
    Note: If Application and Driver Recovery is not listed, from the Start menu, click Run. In the Run dialog box, type: C:\Windows\Sminst\install_app.exe, and then click OK.
  2. In the Application Recovery Program select the appropriate option.
    View Picture
http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPH1/MLXPH1su2.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp

I performed this and attempted to reinstall the sigmatel audio driver. Still, under device manager I am not able to see any drivers being listed for the Sigmatel. Also, when I open up the sound options, there is still No Audio Device listed.

Anything else I can do? Is there another way to try and get Windows to somehow recognize it? Is there a possibility that the physical device itself is dead?

Sad to say I checked the BIOS the other day. All options I saw relating to the Audio, the options were enabled. I disabled real fast and then re-enabled, however they still aren't working. Any more ideas?

Not sure what driver you downloaded so this may be the same one but from what I could find on Gateway site this is the driver you want.

GT5238E Sound

Hmm, strange indeed.

It definitely was enabled in the BIOS. About 2 days ago I went to verify that, and it was. Just to humor myself, I disabled it and quickly re-enabled it in the BIOS... but never got a chance to test it. Last night my chief and I were in front of the computer and he asked me about it. I told him I wasn't able to resolve it... he starts playing a video and I told him sound isn't working, but then it started! I guess the re-enable kicked it in the arse to get it functioning... Seems to be fine now.
smile.gif

Hmm, strange indeed.

It definitely was enabled in the BIOS. About 2 days ago I went to verify that, and it was. Just to humor myself, I disabled it and quickly re-enabled it in the BIOS... but never got a chance to test it. Last night my chief and I were in front of the computer and he asked me about it. I told him I wasn't able to resolve it... he starts playing a video and I told him sound isn't working, but then it started! I guess the re-enable kicked it in the arse to get it functioning... Seems to be fine now.
smile.gif

Cool

I like your sig :)

If you're happy with my assistance, please click on the
reputation.gif
on the left side under my name!

Hey guys ! I got the same problem , can Any one please tell me step by step what to do ?!

And Why dosent my PC recognize the Video Card ?!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back