Games restarting my computer

xinside

OSNN Junior Addict
All the recent games out there like the splinter cell chaos theory, everquest 2, and others when they start up. the intro screens are fine but when it gets in game, before it runs it restarts my computer. I have low specs but whats going on?

my specs are 1.3 ghz amd athlon and 320megs of ram. nvidia geforceFX 5200.

I have all the updated drivers for everything. how can I fix this? any ideas?

Sounds like a BSOD but you have reboot on failure turned on. The 1st thing you should do is turn that off so you can post the error message here. To do that go right click on 'my computer' -> 'properties' -> 'advanced' -> 'startup and recovery (settings)' -> and under 'system failure' uncheck 'automatically restart'.

first off.. thank you for the info.. and second the error is..

"problem caused in file : nv4_disp.dll"

TIA

Possibilities:

1) Do you have the latest (DX 9 rev C) version of Direct X installed? The new games require it.

2) Corrupted or buggy version of your nvidia drivers install. Remove then reinstall the drivers. Use a tool like "nasty file remover" to make sure you get the drivers completely cleaned out before re-installing.

if your computer is restarting while you're playing games then sounds like it's ovver heating

xinside said:
first off.. thank you for the info.. and second the error is..

"problem caused in file : nv4_disp.dll"

TIA
Thats nVidia driver :) Do like LeeJend suggested and compeletly remove your graphic card drivers and try and reinstall them (newest ones are best usally).

I reinstalled the drivers. same thing. I got directx 9c. same thing. any other suggestions?

I don't see how Chaos Theory could crash your machine seeing as it isn't out yet. Sorry, that wasn't helpful at all. :)

i would check out what fishboy said about over heating. that could be the cause, clean out all your fans in the case including the cpu fan

Check your PSU, I had a dodgy one that used to restart my PC. If it's the latest games that's doing this then maybe they're pushing your hardware too much for the PSU to cope with. How many watts is ur PSU?

chaos theory.. the online beta test.. and it isnt overheating.. it was some reason the drivers all along.. the final nvidia release of the newest drivers was doing it for me.. all I did was download the beta 67.66 drivers and now everything works fine.. thank you to the people who helped me..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back