Games Freeze in WinXP

O

Optenos

The Games:
-Counter-Strike
-Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

The Problem:
-My comp keeps freezing about 5 minutes into play, and a sound just cycles over and over again while the screen is frozen, such as gun shots or footsteps. Anyone know what the problem could be?

The Specs:
Athlon XP 1900
Shuttle Ak31 v3.x(latest BIOS)
Leadtek Winfast Geforce 3 Ti200
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
Maxtor 60gig 5400rpm HD
512 PC2100 DDR 266mhz
16x Toshiba DVD Drive
Plexwriter 24x10x40A
Windows XP HomeEdition

I've tried:
-Latest mobo BIOS
-Replacing Sound and Video Card
-Clean install/reinstall of WinXP and Win2kPro
-Downloaded ALL updated drivers and Windows Updates
-I've also tried running these games under all compatibility settings.

If you know how to solve this problem please help, I would really appreciate it, I know of one other person with this same exact problem but he hasn't found a solution to it either and we don't have the same system specs.

Side Note: Some devices are sharing the same memory address and I/O I don't know if that could be a problem. I know of 2 other people with the same problem and they don't know how to fix it either.

If you could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey Optenos, have you tried setting the AGP setting to AGP 2x. You may have it set to AGP 4x in the BIOS. Ive heard instability problems with the Ti200 + VIA running at AGP 4x, so try setting it to 2x.

hope this helps.

TSUNAMI

Yep I tried that before and it didn't worked, I've tried changing many things in the BIOS but no luck, any other suggestions?

Just another suggestion, if your video card is sharring an IRQ with another device, try changing it so that the card has its own IRQ. (think by moving soundcard and other PCI devices into different slots..)

Also the way you install your drivers/cards might be the problem?
I read somewhere that when you clean install an OS, you install the latest 4in1 drivers first - then install video,soundcard,lan driveres second - and then you reinstall the 4in1 drivers last...

There is also a PCI latency patch out on the net somewhere but I think this only fixes sound crackling on some soundcards...??

Cant think of much else, but will post if more ideas come up...

TSUNAMI

Ok I'm going to do a clean install and try everything you just said, I'll be back in hour or so and tell you if it worked or not.

Man your keen to get this fixed...

Ill be sorry if this doesnt work dude :(

good luck!

TSUNAMI

XP1800+
ASUS A7V 266-E
512 DDR Ram
Leadtek GF2MX
Soundblaster live! DE 5.1
Windows XP Pro.
No 4in1 installed
Det. 23.11
AGP 4x
works like a charm

AGP Driving Value

Hey, that may just be a driving value problem. VIA chipsets are not known to auto configure the AGP driving values very well. They either give too much or too little signal to the AGP card. Here is a way to find out if this is your problem. In BIOS, set AGP to 1X then the AGP apature size to 4MB or less (That diables AGP). Then run your games. If it freezes, it would be WinXP (there are quite a few threads about those games in the Games forums), if it plays fine... you then need to go back to BIOS and set AGP to 4X again, increase AGP apature size to 64MB or 128MB. The adjust the AGP driving value. That runs in hexedecimal from 00 to FF (0-255). I have a GeForce 2 Ti and it runs the best at FA. You may need to do some fidling, some say DA or EA works... not an exact science... yet. You may also find that your mother board will not let you change the AGP driving value, then there is another utility that will let you do that from Windows... although I am at work and do not have the link here. Now, ALL of this is mearly speculation. It worked for me, but I don't know if anyone else has found this to be a problem. My motherboard is running the VIA KT266 chipset (Biostar M7VIB). :rolleyes:

image2, I had the same problem with my GF2MX and my old mobo (MSI K7T-pro). I tried changing the AGP driving value to DA and EA and it fixed it for quake 3 but still stuffed up for HL based games...

What I found to work was to set it to AGP 2x - and everything went sweet from there... (dont think theres much difference between 2x and 4x anyways...)

TSUNAMI

Yeah I read a reveiw where someone did benchmarks in 1,2,4X and the difference was a few frames. So 4X is not really all that much faster.... Although it sounds REALLY COOL!:p

Well I did a clean install and it still didn't work, any more suggestions? I'll try anything.

Sorry to hear mate...

Did you give image2's fix a go?

TSUNAMI

Just tried what image2 said and I still got the same problem.

Ouch rough stuff, are you using a VIA based motherboard? If you are install the PCI Latency Patch it can fix a whole bunch of other problems besides IDE and Sound. I put it on VIA KX133 board and my graphics were faster and much smoother before they use to lag too much. Do you get this same problem under Windows 2000 or Windows 9x?

Also go into display properties and adjust the sliders down a few notches Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot

I found out the problem guys, one of my memory sticks was faulty, but thanks for all of your help you've been great!

I presume u just checked each memory stick one by one ?
I have the same problem, so if that is the case, I'm gonna try yr fix

I have a similar problem but I am convinced mine is XP related. While playing Quake II the sound will start to loop and the video will continue to move but I lose control. After a minute or 2 it clears and is ok for a few minutes than does the same thing again.
I upgraded about 6 months ago to XP from 98. I have the same computer just the OS upgrade. Everything worked fine in Win 98. There has to be a problem in XP but I do not know where to look. I have tried some TweakXp tweaks but they did not help. I am about ready to reinstall 98.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated

jerr68

can you do a fresh install of XP? do you have xp drivers for your videocard? If someone put a gun to my head id still have to think about using windows 98...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back