Gamers Mouse?

Helmer

Questions R me
I'm looking for a new mouse - I play quite a lot of FPS games and have heard that both optical and wireless is not a good choise when you need speed and presision. But I know that it were some years since I last looked into these matters, now my mouse is dead and I need a new one.

What would you recommend? Also, anyone know some good mousepads? :)

I wouldn't go with the MX1000. There have been complaints with gamers lifting the mice, and the putting it back down and the mouse didn't pick up tracking normally again. If you are serious about gaming though, I'd go with mice from Razer. The only real gaming mouse from Logitech would be the MX510.

Optical is the way to go whether you game seriously or casually. There is no contest whatsoever. The current mice pick up movement faster than you would be able to track with your eyes.

Wireless has also evolved very well. Logitech's wireless RF technology has become very capable, specifically in the MX700 and the MX1000 ... although both are not gaming mice.

I highly recommend the Logitech Marble Mouse. A lot of people hate these mice but they dont really give them the chance. Becuse of the ball aspect it is VERY fast. no need to pick up the mouse. If you adjust it correctly then with one push of the finger you spin around. It is optical so you have the precsion (a eye reads the dots on the ball). Has 5 buttons, 2 being main, two others being small little ones superimposed onto the main buttons. And a Emulated 5 by holding down the outer two buttons. Unfortunaly there is no scroll wheel, and I know this is a big downer... but once you give it a try you can live without it. I have had 2 (one ps/2 the current USB) for over 7 years. I love these mice to death. And its not one of those dumb thumb ballls.. its your index and middle fingers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2150,CONTENTID=5003

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=40945&page=1&pp=20

my review on the MX1000. quite the good mouse, and also great for gaming, contrary to what Vern said. i haven't had a single problem with gaming while using the mouse. The only time you have a delay before the mouse starts to detect movement again is either when the mouse has been sitting still for a while not doing anything, or after picking it up i think more than a half inch off the mousing surface. In either case, the delay between the mouse going into standby, and the mouse coming out of standby is so short it won't effect gaming at all. the reason it goes into standby is to save battery life. battery wouldn't last long if it were to stay in full operation overnight and stuff. even the battery meter shuts off when it goes into standby.

Vern, if you meant "lifting the mice, and the putting it back down and the mouse didn't pick up tracking normally again" as in it doesn't work normally after setting the mouse back down, it does work normally after setting it back down. I don't think Logitech would have been dumb enough to make a mouse that would, in a sense, malfunction once it has been picked up off the mousing surface and placed back down. If they would have.... i wouldn't have wanted to be the people working in tech support at the time. *cringe*

I too have heard some bad stories about the MX1000. My friend had one for a few days... took it back. It could just be certain batches are bad, I dont know. It seems risky to spend 70+ dollars (or whatever your currency :p) and risk getting a bad product. I personally do not like wireless mice. They are slow to respond at times and tend to jump around, But thats imho.

You all must have gotten some bad equipment, my MX1000 is the best mouse I have ever used and all I play is FPS. COD, AAO, UT2004. Never have had a single problem, well other than it might be too fast and too accurate........

To those with the MX1000 ... I know it might be all nice to glorify it because after all you have it, and you've had great experience with it, but that doesn't take away from the FACT that other people have had problems with it. That doesn't take away from the FACT that it wasn't meant to be Logitech's gaming mouse. It might be a great mouse in and of itself, but what was asked was gaming mice and the MX1000 is not a gaming mouse.

vern said:
To those with the MX1000 ... I know it might be all nice to glorify it because after all you have it, and you've had great experience with it, but that doesn't take away from the FACT that other people have had problems with it. That doesn't take away from the FACT that it wasn't meant to be Logitech's gaming mouse. It might be a great mouse in and of itself, but what was asked was gaming mice and the MX1000 is not a gaming mouse.

Well hey I don't know about that! Considering I have used mine for over a month now. *Games currently playing* Doom 3, HL2, UT 2004, Starwars Battlefront, NFSU 2, do i dare go on. I have had now problems at all with my MX1000 mouse, I can play any game lift it and there is no "lag" at all. Hell, I even let it go into power saving mode and when I set it down it is just as responsive as though it was on and moving "no lag there either" I think they were using a crappy mouse pad or just got a bad apple. I say once again it is the best mouse I have ever used. I feel for those who have had bad luck with them.

The only thing I noticed was that, If by chance there was a peice of fluff from the mouse pad in the lazer light hole it would still work but be very jumpy I cleaned it out and works fine. that may be what everyone is experiencing. It would explain it

I have had my mx1000 for about 2 weeks now, and its one excellenet bit of kit, alot better than any other mouse ive had.
And i have had NIL problems in any games, and yus im a big gamer! heh
League player etc

highly recommend it myself, i havent noticed one problem with it being wireless or any 'lift' problems what so ever.

games played include doom3, hl2 and hl1 tfc mods etc, 1st person shooters mainly

o and ive had other wireless and wired mice, this is steps above them.

And as for the people having bad experiences with them, well ppl who have had problems are always gonna make more noise than a person whos had no problems what so ever!
There is always going to be forums with ppl tryin to figure out these problems and complain about them.
So i dont believe this gives a true respresentation of the, if any, issues with the Mx1000.

anyhow what makes a gaming mouse?
Fast, yes.
accurate, Yes.
Lots of programmable buttons, Yes.
Egronomic, Yes.

What have i missed?
Because as far as i can see the Mx1000 fills all the gaps.

But hey ho, imo get one and try it your self and make up yer own mind.

o and about the peep above who mentioned not liking wireless as they jump about etc, i had a microsoft one b4 this mouse, and yes i'd agree with yer they were pants!
But i took a chance with the mx1000 and have not had any of the problems i noticed with the microsoft.
Tho maybe i had got used to them,... who knows heh

Thanks everyone!

Well the funny thing is that I've heard many complaints about both the MX1000 and the newest Razor mice. The Razor mice only has 3 pads to slide on and that makes it tip.

Now to make a choise.. hehe

Razer Viper, a very nice and speedy little thing

sits really nicely in my hand as well

If you ared still not decided I run the Razer Viper with the Razer exactmat pad.

Very good, light mouse and very accurate even without the pad.

With the pad it is awesome!

I used to use a Razer mouse a few years back, i'm not sure about the current crop of products, but back then it was pretty damn good, compared to optical equivalents.

Edit: A nice mouse pad ought to make a difference too :)

Ok, I wen't with the Razer Diamondback:

Razer Diamondback™ Precision Gaming Mouse

Technical Specifications:

Optical engine powered by kärna precision

1600 dpi, twice that of conventional high performance sensors

High speed motion detection, up to 40ips and 15g

Frame rate over 6400 frames per second (5.8 megapixels per second)

16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths used by other conventional mice

Always On Mode – the optical sensor never powers down - provides instantaneous response at all times during gameplay

Buttons – 7 physical buttons optimized for gaming response and independently programmable

Ultra large non-slip mouse buttons, tactile response design

Non-slip side rails and new ergonomic ambidextrous design

Zero acoustic Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface

Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity

Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height

7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord

Award winning Razer drivers featuring On-the-Fly sensitivity adjustment

And I did get a mousepad too :laugh:

Steelpad S&S - SK version
Developed by SK.
SK quote: You are able to perform minimal and exact movements, and you never drag your mouse outside the pad. The Steelpad S&S is already approved by clans such as Team 3D, 4Kings, MouseSports, D-skyline and Titans.
Description: Length 320 mm. – Width 270 mm. - Thickness 2 mm.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

MX1000 here also, never had the problem with it not racking after lifting it up.

OT: Helmer, readded your old posts, join date. You originally joined three years ago today!

Hey EP,

I've said it before, saying it again - What you have build here is amazing! Since windows-experience.org, I've been able to find answers to all my questions here *thumbs up* Everyone's always friendly in here :)

And thanks! 3 years today eh? Sweet :)

overclock your optical nerve so ur eyes can send information to your brain faster

explain how? (anyone remember what famous cartoon character said that? *grin*)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back