gamecube backups

You mean networking your gamecube to a pc and back your games up? Or play your backupped games (the ones on your harddisk) on your gamecube with a gamecube->pc link?
For the first, I don't think so, not without a hardware hack, I think that is secured. And you need a piece of software for your gamecube and pc as well.
Second: Probably, but not without a piece of software for your gamecube.
Be aware, this a all pure theory, I don't have a gamecube, haven't seen any software, nor have I seen a working pc-gamecube link. Plus, I don't think this kind of questions are allowed on this board.

There's some info here www.cubehacker.com (haven't read it myself, no need to)
but apparently because gamecube games can not be backed up to cd/dvd the only way to back up the games it to network the GC to a computer and then actually play it from the computer.... or something like that. Seems quite interesting to me :)

Yep, what Speedy B said. You need the network adapter, and a copy of Phantasy Star Online. You basically trick Phantasy Star Online into thinking your PC is a Phantasy Star Online server, and then you can load games from there.

You cannot backup Gamecube DVDs because first of all they are mini DVDs, and second, they are burned from the outside in, and as far as I know, there is no DVD burner that does that.

Dreamcast games where burned from outside inwards, that problem was solved by adding a large 'dummy' file, filled with 1's and 0's to the start of the disc actually filing the entire cd with data, but game data was actually pushed to the outside.

nintendo actually thwarted this by reading the disc backwards, you can actually get the mini dvds.. put dummy files on there.. burn them, but they wont read them :) quite clever really, good job nintendo :)

Odd no one made a program that can reverse the data and burn it :confused:

Har! I hadn't even thought of that, yet it (seems) such a simple idea. Maybe they have tried, and failed? may not be as easy as it sounds to actually achieve.

Interesting Speedy, I didn't know that. Theoeretically what Benny said should be possible...

It's probably backwards on a bit level, which would make it much harder. If not impossible. Due to control codes, lead-in/lead-out and so on.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
quite clever really, good job nintendo :)

I know. From a technical standpoint, I quite admire the Gamecube. That is more than I can say for the XBox (Pentium III...come on! :p )

Melon

hehe :D
I was impressed with Sega's methods, making there own format of disc that holds 1GB of data, yet there plan was foiled by the fact that the games were rarely over 700mb (for example, the original crazi taxi is around the 90mb mark) and that the Dreamcast used standard sized discs, and had no problem reading CD-R.

Nintendo have gone all the way though, making it impossible (well, maybe just REAAALLLY hard, nothing's impossible :p) to actually physically backup their games, while clever, also quite annoying for people who always backup for legitimate reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back