[Game Review] Half Life 2 : Episode One

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
What do I rate Half Life 2 : Episode One? I'd have to say it graciously receives a 9.0 out of 10. And here's why.

Overall the gameplay felt the exact same. Your weapons that you recieved had more of a play in what will happen or how often they are needed. But the overall steps you need to take to complete this game seem to have changed. What? No more running around killing everything? No no no, don't worry, you still do a lot of that. But you'll notice through the first 2/3rds of the game, you have to solve more problems then HL2 had. Or at least it seems that way. The last 1/3rd of the game is more of a run and shoot sort of method.

Graphics: I have to say, that after seeing other games that are out now, the HL2 graphics are showing some age. But, they still manage to look great. There are a few new animations, mostly gestures from characters. So keep an eye out if you can on faces. You might catch a few.

I have to say, that the main reason why this game didn't score a 10 out of 10 was that they had a distinct difference in how you play in the game, figuring out things for the majority, then gun blazing at the end. Although, it does make some sense to have that, it does get annoying. I also have to say, that it was very short. Or at least seemed that way since I barely left my computer to play the game. That's a good thing though. The storyline really makes you want to finish it through.

I have yet to find any bugs that ruin gameplay though. Which is more than I can say about BF2 Armored Fury. Half Life 2 only had a few bugs which seemed to be fixed relatively quickly.

And here are some tips for those of you that haven't played the game yet. Keep an eye on the weapons you use. The gravity gun comes in handy more than last time and it's very useful throughout the whole storyline. Also, Alyx is invincible and she has a gun. Let her take a lot of shots at the monsters to save your bullets. It's ok to let the chick do a lot of the shooting, you do all of the thinking and more work later.

Well, that's all for now about the game, I'll leave you with a little blurb about one of the common comments I've heard from people about it.

"Welcome to the new series style of game releases. I think what companies are starting to do is release chapters of the games instead of full fledge Novels. There are good things to this as well as bad things. The good thing about this is that you get to play the new parts of the game more frequently than full releases. But the downside is that they will be short."

Ok, I will not say the persons name that said this, but it wasn't in the forums here. It was a discussion I had with a CompUSA employee as I checked out some prices on some games. I'm not saying he's wrong...:rolleyes: But I am not sure it's exactly like that. Half Life 2 was release on November 16th 2004... That's over 2 years of development time for Episode One? I think it's more along the lines of keeping interest in the series aside from Gary's Mod to hype people up for a full release. There may even be an Episode Two to follow inbetween. Oh and for anyone that wants to know, Half Life 2 took 5 years to develop the source code. Along with a lot of failed publish dates. So it could be longer for HL3.

Post a few pics, we have several in the other thread, mention the HDR or something along those lines.

there will be at least 3 hl2 episodes of similar length,

they have said this is abetter way of doing things since you don't have to wait years for the next release, i'd imagine the next ep will be out by end of the year

I read an interview with Gabe Newall (sp?) who stated that these episodes really ought to be thought of as HL3: Episode 1, HL3: Episode 2 etc, as they are in effect Half-life 3 spread out over 3 large chapters.

I don't know why it's called Half-Life 2: Episode 1 really, Gabe's suggestion is much better.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know it's suppose to be thought of as HL3, but as far as I'm concerned, it's still HL2 if it says it. If the next chapter says HL3 episode 2, then that will be a whole other thing. Like "Why did they choose HL3:EP2 instead of EP1 because it's now HL3. Ugh. Anyway. My head was hurting so I posted this rather quickly when I did the review.

i had alyx die once. when you are in a dark room and you are waiting for the elevator and the zombies com out and attack. i just ran around and eventually it said alyx has died or something like that and it went to a red screen.

I have a hard time following how the episodes are HL3. Usually with the release of a new game things change (graphics, sound, new features)

HL2 episode 1 had the same graphics, sound, and features. It's not really a new game if you ask me, just some filler.

Models had more animations and polygons, all lighting involved HDR, textures had more poly's and were more detailed, out-doors environments seemed larger in some parts and there was more ambient noise/music/effects.

Graphics was definitely more demanding compared to HL2, primarily due to the HDR implementation.

As new features are added to the engine, they will be taken advantage of and made available to the users.

Because it wasn't a huge change in the game, it is still called HL2 (albeit, in episodic form).

I have a hard time following how the episodes are HL3. Usually with the release of a new game things change (graphics, sound, new features)

HL2 episode 1 had the same graphics, sound, and features. It's not really a new game if you ask me, just some filler.

I think that's probably why they didn't call it Half-life 3: Episode One, though it makes sense to think of it that way.

I think they will incorporate the effects that were used in Lost Coast into the next installment/episode. Now Lost Coast was/is a technology showcase for Valve so as to show off it's High-Dynamic Range lighting. Now the way they seem to want to proceed with the episode releases they will probably have a few extra tweaks for us in episode 2. Plus as all the press releases have shown Valve wishes to go the sectional mode in the way they put out the continuation of their games. Better to get an episode game to play ever year than having to wait 5 years or more. Me thinks anyway.

Yeah, they really should have called it Half-life3 in my opinion

it didn't have the same graphics sound and features as HL2

for starters as mentioned, it was all done with HDR lighting, the facial and body movments of the main characters where increased significantly, background details where increased, new pysics models were used for parts. Having aylex follow you required large changes to collision detection as well as improvments to the AI for both her and enemies. IMO it looked and played much better.
In EP2 they will also be introducing serveral more large enhancements.

man how do we use the gravity gun in the first mission to climb the wall can any one tell!!!!Require help

man how do we use the gravity gun in the first mission to climb the wall can any one tell!!!!Require help

Where are you stuck?

Inside the pit?

If it is the pit, there should be a plank you can pull out and something should either fall or you can use the plank as a walkway.

Naturally I dunno where you are so I am guessing here lol.

i love the gravity gun, it allows a much better interaction with the environment.

BEWARE SPOILER WALKTHROUGH

http://guides.ign.com/guides/740555/index.html

Follow it on through each page (beginning of "walkthrough" is on 3rd page after "basics" page) or just go to the level you are stuck at.

i have a question about a possible glitch. in "Urban Fight" there is the area where you fight the huge antlion, and after i kill it, Alyx won't follow me by coming off the balcony. not when i start plugging the holes with the cars, and not when the combine come, despite being far away from her. i read in a walkthrough that she man's the machine gun as i go to work, but that never happens. the next time i see her is when she shows up out of nowhere in the basement as i start climbing around in the ducts. does anyone else experience this, or is there something i have to do?

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. It allso happen to me in the 3 level building that seems to be a parking structure where you have to plug 3 of those atlion holes. Alyx would not follow me up to the upper floors. Had to exit out of the game and replay it from a save game point that is before that structure. I also read somewhere (I don't remember where anymore) that if you use the console and use the cheates it will do this even more. Not sure about this though. I think it had to do with getting all weapons and ammo and that at that point in the game you shouldn't have all them weapons. I think. :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back