gainward fx5900 256mb probs.

kingsam

OSNN Addict
I have just put together a system
asus a7n8x delux
XP 3200 barton
2x512 pc3200 (gel make)

when running 3dmark2003 it gets so far then the pc restarts,tryed other memory & cpu,but the same thing happens.
When you lower the FSB it works ok.I have all the latest drivers,can anyone help any suggestions.Please help
Thanks.:(

First thing you have to do is go into the bios and turn off restart after failure. It's keeping you from seeing the windows crash message. When you see the message it may tell you what is wrong or if not copy it and post it back here for help.

I assume you had the FSB set to 333 to start. If it was set to 400 and the Barton is not a 400 FSB chip don't expect it to work.

Assuming you weren't overclcoking how far did you have to lower the FSB to get through madonion?

So the video card is the FX 5900 256?
What size/make power supply.
What kind of heatsink/fan?
Number and location of case fans.

Also, check your CPU temperature before you start madonion and right after the crash. Madonion increases cpu work load and can cause it to get too hot if heatsink fan is inadequate.

You have a very hot system there. Cooling could be the issue.

Originally posted by kingsam
I have just put together a system
asus a7n8x delux
XP 3200 barton
2x512 pc3200 (gel make)

when running 3dmark2003 it gets so far then the pc restarts,tryed other memory & cpu,but the same thing happens.
When you lower the FSB it works ok.I have all the latest drivers,can anyone help any suggestions.Please help
Thanks.:(

you may want to consider checking out the gainward site for a new bios for the card is possible...

there was a problem with eVGA cards as well and their clocks... they were clocked high when sold and many had problems running @ those clocks for certain apps while working fine with other apps... what you describe sounds like a problem some of them had..

what clocks is your card running @ stock ? and what settings does the card run stable @ ?

also... are you running anything overclocked in your system that may possible interfere with your video card...

hopefully you have already contacted gainward with this issue... a $500 card should work properly I would think and tech support for it should also be top notch... they are a good company and should offer a valid solution/new bios or other ASAP...

post replies to questions/comments above and keep us posted on steps you have taken as well :)

Thanx for all the advice,as it turns out it was a compatability issue with the gel memory.Swopped it to corsair brand,and everythings now flying along...and stable,no crashes etc.
Many thanx again

Originally posted by kingsam
Thanx for all the advice,as it turns out it was a compatability issue with the gel memory.Swopped it to corsair brand,and everythings now flying along...and stable,no crashes etc.
Many thanx again

heh didnt even think about that..

yah our nforce2 boards from asus had mem compatability issues as well... stuck in xms and it worked fine.. but I thought geil woulda worked as well..

ah well... congrats... hope everythngs fine fine now :)

Glad I read this thread, I was thinking about switching from Corsair and going to Geil. Maybe Ill switch to OCZ...

what memory manufacturer is considered the best ??

Is there a clear-cut winner or is it all pretty much the same when considering:

Corsair XMS
Geil Gold
Hyper X
OCZ

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back