G Chat

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Have any of you used the new Gmail Chat?
I think they finally got the kinks out of it and now it is up and running..
I just had a long chat with a friend who has gmail and i felt it was very much worth it. It was carefree and much less hassle than AIM with adds, and annoying buddy lists and such...
-Jack

i used it a couple of times, its useful for when people dont get on msn and they are on gmail u can catch them before they get off. verry handy

I was amused by the animated emoticons. It was totally unexpected the first time I saw them. :D

NetRyder said:
I was amused by the animated emoticons. It was totally unexpected the first time I saw them. :D
Seconded :D

I think the feature is fantastic, have been able to talk with people who didn't even know GoogleTalk existed. As I have GoogleTalk open pretty much all the time, I now see people pop on and offline as they check their mail :D

Yeah, it was a smart move. I'm sure a lot more people know it exists now that it's right there in front of them. :)

Khayman said:
Its still not availiable here! :(
Change the language in your GMail settings to English US rather than English UK... at a guess.

I did and suddenly chat and web clips magically appeared.

SPeedY_B said:
Change the language in your GMail settings to English US rather than English UK... at a guess.

Good sleuthing Batman

You know whats odd?
I use firefox and on both my computers when i go into gmail through the firefox extension, Gmail chat does not come up...
I don't know if it affects any of you but if it does then this will just be a reminder for those just tuning in that it doesnt work through the firefox extension...
-Jack

SPeedY_B said:

argh - but I'd be loathe to do that - everything might be the wrong color after (sic.!) ;)

I actually have a side question on this - another forum i participate in entirely separate and not techno oriented wishes to turn these OFF, and have Gmail so when you hit the sender it brings up the email - as it used to... any ideas sleuth? ;)

Back to topic - can anyone advise as and when Miranda and Gaim (or any other client) incorporate the Gmail protocol into their IM clients? Until this happens I'll be leaving it alone...

Alright, so at first I thought it was stupid, another Messenger that I dont need, plus most of my friends dont have Google Messenger or whatever. Then I read some of this thread, so can somebody clear this up. What do you need to download, and all you do is sign into your mail?

I'm abit confused, someone please clear things up.

Yeah
all you do is sign into gmail,
nothing else to do, i saw the message saying its coming then i saw it one day in gmail.. Its great, because some of my friends who never go on aim or anything i can catch in gmail when they are on...
And i dont believe google chat is neccessary...
-jack

Yah it truly is, but remember, i have tried it on several computers and "G chat" doesnt appear in gmail if you go to gmail through the firefox extension...
-Jack
Glad to help

Mainframeguy said:
argh - but I'd be loathe to do that - everything might be the wrong color after (sic.!) ;)

I actually have a side question on this - another forum i participate in entirely separate and not techno oriented wishes to turn these OFF, and have Gmail so when you hit the sender it brings up the email - as it used to... any ideas sleuth? ;)

Back to topic - can anyone advise as and when Miranda and Gaim (or any other client) incorporate the Gmail protocol into their IM clients? Until this happens I'll be leaving it alone...
I'm lost, someone wants to disable the feature? I can't check right now, but isn't there a simple option to do so in the settings? Alternatively, just use "English UK" as your language, and functionality returns to normal.

As for using Google Talk with other clients, (almost) anything that supports Jabber (Miranda and GAIM both included) will connect to the Google Talk network, as that's what it runs on. Check out this page: http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html

OK....
Right now i am very confused, are we still talking about the chat option in gmail anymore?
I didn't think there was anything to it, i just logged in as well as 6 other people i know....
-Jack

Update:
Earlier today, G-Chat in gmail was "experiencing technical difficulties"
From what i can tell now, the firefox extension now works for G-chat as well...
You can now log in from the firefox extension and when you click the icon at the bottom of you rscreen gmail and g-chat will appear!
-Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
which extension, I know there are a couple of them for gmail.

vanquished said:
OK....
Right now i am very confused, are we still talking about the chat option in gmail anymore?
I didn't think there was anything to it, i just logged in as well as 6 other people i know....
-Jack

Update:
Earlier today, G-Chat in gmail was "experiencing technical difficulties"
From what i can tell now, the firefox extension now works for G-chat as well...
You can now log in from the firefox extension and when you click the icon at the bottom of you rscreen gmail and g-chat will appear!
-Jack
......huh?

OK,
Sorry about the confusion for both of you,
I was talking about GMAIL notifier for firefox, version 5.5
And what i was saying in total (for speedy) is that before when you accessed your inbox through gmail notifier "G-Chat" would appear, you couldn't use it...After yesterday it seems to be fixed, thus you may now access your inbox and "G-chat" through the firefox extension.
Sorry again about the vague explaination i gave earlier, i must have been tired...
-Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back