G Chat

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#1
Have any of you used the new Gmail Chat?
I think they finally got the kinks out of it and now it is up and running..
I just had a long chat with a friend who has gmail and i felt it was very much worth it. It was carefree and much less hassle than AIM with adds, and annoying buddy lists and such...
-Jack
 

Kush

High On Life!
#2
i used it a couple of times, its useful for when people dont get on msn and they are on gmail u can catch them before they get off. verry handy
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#4
NetRyder said:
I was amused by the animated emoticons. It was totally unexpected the first time I saw them. :D
Seconded :D

I think the feature is fantastic, have been able to talk with people who didn't even know GoogleTalk existed. As I have GoogleTalk open pretty much all the time, I now see people pop on and offline as they check their mail :D
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#7
Khayman said:
Its still not availiable here! :(
Change the language in your GMail settings to English US rather than English UK... at a guess.

I did and suddenly chat and web clips magically appeared.
 

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
#8
SPeedY_B said:
Change the language in your GMail settings to English US rather than English UK... at a guess.

I did and suddenly chat and web clips magically appeared.
Good sleuthing Batman
 

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#9
You know whats odd?
I use firefox and on both my computers when i go into gmail through the firefox extension, Gmail chat does not come up...
I don't know if it affects any of you but if it does then this will just be a reminder for those just tuning in that it doesnt work through the firefox extension...
-Jack
 

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
#10
SPeedY_B said:
Change the language in your GMail settings to English US rather than English UK... at a guess.

I did and suddenly chat and web clips magically appeared.
argh - but I'd be loathe to do that - everything might be the wrong color after (sic.!) ;)

I actually have a side question on this - another forum i participate in entirely separate and not techno oriented wishes to turn these OFF, and have Gmail so when you hit the sender it brings up the email - as it used to... any ideas sleuth? ;)

Back to topic - can anyone advise as and when Miranda and Gaim (or any other client) incorporate the Gmail protocol into their IM clients? Until this happens I'll be leaving it alone...
 

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
#11
Alright, so at first I thought it was stupid, another Messenger that I dont need, plus most of my friends dont have Google Messenger or whatever. Then I read some of this thread, so can somebody clear this up. What do you need to download, and all you do is sign into your mail?

I'm abit confused, someone please clear things up.
 

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#12
Yeah
all you do is sign into gmail,
nothing else to do, i saw the message saying its coming then i saw it one day in gmail.. Its great, because some of my friends who never go on aim or anything i can catch in gmail when they are on...
And i dont believe google chat is neccessary...
-jack
 

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#14
Yah it truly is, but remember, i have tried it on several computers and "G chat" doesnt appear in gmail if you go to gmail through the firefox extension...
-Jack
Glad to help
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#15
Mainframeguy said:
argh - but I'd be loathe to do that - everything might be the wrong color after (sic.!) ;)

I actually have a side question on this - another forum i participate in entirely separate and not techno oriented wishes to turn these OFF, and have Gmail so when you hit the sender it brings up the email - as it used to... any ideas sleuth? ;)

Back to topic - can anyone advise as and when Miranda and Gaim (or any other client) incorporate the Gmail protocol into their IM clients? Until this happens I'll be leaving it alone...
I'm lost, someone wants to disable the feature? I can't check right now, but isn't there a simple option to do so in the settings? Alternatively, just use "English UK" as your language, and functionality returns to normal.

As for using Google Talk with other clients, (almost) anything that supports Jabber (Miranda and GAIM both included) will connect to the Google Talk network, as that's what it runs on. Check out this page: http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html
 

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#16
OK....
Right now i am very confused, are we still talking about the chat option in gmail anymore?
I didn't think there was anything to it, i just logged in as well as 6 other people i know....
-Jack

Update:
Earlier today, G-Chat in gmail was "experiencing technical difficulties"
From what i can tell now, the firefox extension now works for G-chat as well...
You can now log in from the firefox extension and when you click the icon at the bottom of you rscreen gmail and g-chat will appear!
-Jack
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#18
vanquished said:
OK....
Right now i am very confused, are we still talking about the chat option in gmail anymore?
I didn't think there was anything to it, i just logged in as well as 6 other people i know....
-Jack

Update:
Earlier today, G-Chat in gmail was "experiencing technical difficulties"
From what i can tell now, the firefox extension now works for G-chat as well...
You can now log in from the firefox extension and when you click the icon at the bottom of you rscreen gmail and g-chat will appear!
-Jack
......huh?
 

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
#19
OK,
Sorry about the confusion for both of you,
I was talking about GMAIL notifier for firefox, version 5.5
And what i was saying in total (for speedy) is that before when you accessed your inbox through gmail notifier "G-Chat" would appear, you couldn't use it...After yesterday it seems to be fixed, thus you may now access your inbox and "G-chat" through the firefox extension.
Sorry again about the vague explaination i gave earlier, i must have been tired...
-Jack
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,970
Messages
673,297
Members
89,016
Latest member
Poseeut