Future Computer upgrade

zapoqx

Striking Master
My dad is thinking of getting me an upgrade (and I'm thinking of helping myself a bit if the job I get when I get back to AZ works out). Here are some ideas of the upgrade...

Current -> Upgrade
MSI nForce 2 K7N2 Delta-L Motherboard -> ?? with SLI??
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHZ -> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Duel Core
3x 512 MB RAM (1.5 GB) -> 2x 1GB
6x USB Ports (2x Front) -> Same*
nVidia AGP GeForce FX 5200 128 MB -> GeForce 7800 GT or Radeon X850XT*
Sony 40x DVD-R drive -> Same
Sony 32x24 DVD-RW drive -> Same
3Com 3C905TX-Based Ethernet Adapter -> Same*
Maxtor 80 GB Hard Drive (C:) -> 120-160GB HD*
Western Digital 80 GB Hard Drive (D:) -> Same or upgrade to 120GB
WinFast 2000 XP Expert TV -> Same
(Power Supply Volts can't be remembered) -> 600 Watt+*

* - Marks as unknown as of now.

So, what you think and give suggestions please?

zapoqx said:
My dad is thinking of getting me an upgrade (and I'm thinking of helping myself a bit if the job I get when I get back to AZ works out). Here are some ideas of the upgrade...

Current -> Upgrade
MSI nForce 2 K7N2 Delta-L Motherboard -> ?? with SLI??
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHZ -> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Duel Core
3x 512 MB RAM (1.5 GB) -> 2x 1GB
6x USB Ports (2x Front) -> Same*
nVidia AGP GeForce FX 5200 128 MB -> GeForce 7800 GT or Radeon X850XT*
Sony 40x DVD-R drive -> Same
Sony 32x24 DVD-RW drive -> Same
3Com 3C905TX-Based Ethernet Adapter -> Same*
Maxtor 80 GB Hard Drive (C:) -> 120-160GB HD*
Western Digital 80 GB Hard Drive (D:) -> Same or upgrade to 120GB
WinFast 2000 XP Expert TV -> Same
(Power Supply Volts can't be remembered) -> 600 Watt+*

* - Marks as unknown as of now.

So, what you think and give suggestions please?

looks good except the ethernet adapter... use on-board if your mobo supports 10/100/1000, no need to add another peripheral....

as for power supply the Amps not volts is what matters...
and how many amps per rail...

SO, If you upgrade your PSU: PC, power and cooling make the best power supllies on the planet but they aint cheap check out the PC,poer and Colling 850 SSI PSU

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

Ya, your right about the amps, sorry, mistake.

Anyway, well I'm not trusting anymore with on-board ethernet adapter. Reason for this is my current system has an on-board ethernet but my system gets the BSOD if I try to do it. It even did it when I tried installing Windows from Scratch. Even my dad sometimes has problems maintaining his on-board ethernet so he got a ethernet adapter to fix that problem so he hasn't had ethernet problems ever since. That is why I'm leary about those on-board ethernets.

I also looked at the cooling. Looks REAL nice, but judging from the price, I would REALLY hope to get a job to get that (I think I saw that power supply in the computer show I was at over the weekend for like... $300?).

zapoqx said:
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

Ya, your right about the amps, sorry, mistake.

Anyway, well I'm not trusting anymore with on-board ethernet adapter. Reason for this is my current system has an on-board ethernet but my system gets the BSOD if I try to do it. It even did it when I tried installing Windows from Scratch. Even my dad sometimes has problems maintaining his on-board ethernet so he got a ethernet adapter to fix that problem so he hasn't had ethernet problems ever since. That is why I'm leary about those on-board ethernets.

I also looked at the cooling. Looks REAL nice, but judging from the price, I would REALLY hope to get a job to get that (I think I saw that power supply in the computer show I was at over the weekend for like... $300?).

Same here, but my mobo is 3 years old. Today's should do fine with the onboard.

Mastershakes said:
Same here, but my mobo is 3 years old. Today's should do fine with the onboard.

I agree, plus it depends on the manufacturer of the mobo... never once have I had probs with on-board network connections from asus

but I did with both gigabyte and tyan..

thats just my experiences though....

Instead of upgrading both C & D HD's, I think you should just stick a small drive in for the OS and use one big drive for D:\ for use with personal files and games etc.

I've got a 160GB drive, of which a 10GB partition is for C: and I only use about 6GB for my OS and applications.
The other 150GB~ is used for backups and other files/games/etc.

Hmmm. Well ming, believe it or not, I was actually thinking that IF whatever motherboard I get has enough room for another drive, I was thinking of putting 2 20 GB drives. 1 for Windows XP Pro, the other for Kubuntu or Ubuntu (can't decide) for learning purposes.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back