funny recovery console issue

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
this is VERY interesting

I had to use the recovery console to rebuild the boot on my new laptop

well, I thought it would be a better idea to use my old xp pro authentic cd to since I was rebuilding the 32 bit os boot and not the 64 bit which was fine

well, the authentic xp cd insisted on an adminsitrator password, though none exists...yes I hit enter anyway, it just lets you do that three times btw.

now, this happened on a previous laptop which I wound up trading back becuase I couldn't get intot recovery.

so this time, I had the 64 bit cd, so I fugured I'd use the recovery console from there since the console just goes to whatever os you want it to anyway.

well, this console didn't need my administrator password for the 32 bit os, it just went right in there when I hit enter.

reconfigured the boot, fixed everything, and all is well.

I just think it's pretty interesting that the 32 bit cd needs a password that doesn't exist.

i've had that happen when i had pc problems, i used the recovery console like 4 times with no password as none is set, then when i opened it for a last time to delete a file it asked me for a password :speechless: :rolleyes:

I have run into that myself. It is pretty funny when you think about it. When you haven't even put in 'Enter' as your password.

This happens when sysprep is used with an original version of XP, sysprep changes the way passwords are stored in the registry. Most OEM's use sysprep to install windows. The problem is fixed with SP1 integrated on the install CD, that's why the 64bit XP CD works.

good info rickyC, thanx for that

is there a default password that will work?

Xp home edition does not have an Administrator password by default. The Pro version creates one during the setup routine.

perris said:
is there a default password that will work?

I don't think there is a default password, would be too much of a security risk.

Here's a little utility which let's you change/reset passwords on 2000/XP/2003 including the admin password.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! And only if your comfortable with using such utilities. :nervous:

From the website:
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE (MIS)USE OF THIS SOFTWARE!
It's VERY ALPHA yet, and relies heavily on undocumented structures and methods. You have been warned!

Make a bootable floppy or CD and follow the instructions on the site.

PS. I hope it's okay linking to this

I'm allready fine with my installation, I was just hoping there would be a default password if the issue arose for someone else

as far as a default password being a security risk, not really, since it would be the same as no password at all, which is the default now

great posts rick!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back