funny problems with xp and games

V

vanguard-ace

im running xp
p3 700
geforce2 400mx
256ram

ok when i go into games now for some unknown reason if i shoot sometimes in a game or click in a game menu it drops me back to the desktop. i click back in and its ok for a while. i have got the latest drivers for everything pretty much and its driving me crazy. it started about three weeks ago but i have not made any changes to my system i can remember.

any ideas?

the games most effected are serious sam 2 and ghost recon.

ss2 is a bought copy so its not down to a game bug from bad d/l

Hmmm, does it just dump you to the desktop or does it automagically close the game? Either way, sounds like it may a sound card issue because it seems to happen on some sound event.

Have you tried reinstalling the game(s)? Once I had a corrupt sound file in a game that caused my 98 machine to lock up. Don't know why or how it got corrupt, but it did. A reinstall of the game fixed it. I know it was the sound file because i tried to play the wav file outside the game, although it just wouldnt play instead of locking the PC.

Have you tried rolling back the sound driver? What type of sound card do you have? Try going into your event log and see if it displays something related to your problem.

hate to say it but here goes, lolol

the geforce 2 mx cards are nothing but a huge headache, in xp.
(not sure about geforce 4 mx). if your using new nividia drivers.
go get 21.85 and try them. what sound card are you using, update the drivers for your sound card. make sure your mobo bios is current.also if you did an upgrade from, 98, me. get that junk off and do a clean install, also, dont put any cards mainly your sound card, in the pci slot right below ur agp slot, as this will make you pull out your hair, until, and or if ms can sort out these cheesy acpi issues. just my 2 cents, hehe:p

My GeForce2 has been suprisingly stable, its one of the older 200s but I have never really had a problem with it, will be sad to see it go when I update - whenever that may be.

sorry been away

ok well my sound card is fine with xp as its compatible. ill try new driver if i can find one and see. i may just reinstall the whole lot and see what shakes out

when i had the geforce 2 mx400 i used the 29 driver i believe and it proved to be most stable. btw i also had ap roblem similar to urs and it ended up being zonealarm interfrence

Bumping this tread why????

Attachments

• batman_threadres.jpg
    batman_threadres.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 712

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back