FTP+Server

X

-[xs]-mirage

Hey all, I was wondering if you had any ideas. I want to setup a home FTP server. Will CuteFTP allow me to do this? If not, do you know of any programs (free or purchaseable) that will allow me to do so?

Thanks for your help! :cool:

No, CuteFTP is a client, you will need a server.
As you have XP Pro you will be able to install the IIS FTP Server, add/remove windows components > Internet Information Services (IIS)

Nick's question: I did what speedy B said; installed the Windows XP server...

now where might I access it and configure?

start > run > %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\iis.msc

Select what you want in the left, right click, then go to properties.

Speedy B .... I am using GuildFTPD... But am having some issues. I create a new group, new users, config the passwords, config the access rights, config'd everything so far as i can see and when i try to connect.. from another computer.. it asks for a login. I supply the correct username and password (and yes checked caps lock) I wondered if you could tell me.. seeing as you have used the program b4 how to make it so anyone can get on it.. no login required... and also how to make it so people can log in and not get a bothersome "Acess rights" or "Time out" message.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Cheers,
Yours, Jon

Either there's a special account for anonymous login somewhere or you just create an account called "anonymous" with no password.

Yup, there is an anonymous account, i cant remember the exact details right now, but if you can't figure it out let me know and i'll re-install it, and look into it further :)

speedy b thats kind of you.. would you be kind enought to look into it??

Thanks a lot guys (and possibly girls)
:cool:

Sure thing, just installed .... lets see now :)

The anonymous account seems to be enabled as default and with no timeouts...
All i've done is installed and ran the program and FTP'd into my own computer.

C:\>ftp localhost
Connected to t00t.
220-GuildFTPd FTP Server (c) 1997-2002
220-Version 0.999
220 Please enter your name:
User (t00t (none)): anonymous
331 User name okay, Need password.
Password:
230 User logged in.
ftp>

So simply give the username "anonymous" and no password when signing in

let me know if this works for you :)

hmm speedy b if you would please.. could i have some more detailed info... config stuff etc...

Thanks!

What do you want it to do!?
It has anonymous unlimited access from the default install ...

Forther configs can be set by choosing the "Anonymous" user on the left side, then setting the options on the right

alrite.. for some reason my ftp is a bit fuxored.. nm then. THANKS ANYWAYS!

Yeah I even got lost on this one... and I run an FTP server using Serv-U FTP
My question is if you have a router and if so are you forwarding the port to the proper machine and are you trying to access your ftp with pasv mode enabled??

oh and BTW if you are running a 3rd party ftp server like Guild you need to disable ftp in IIS or it will take over and cause this kind of problem.

ah ha!!!! finally !! Many thanks PseudoKiller!!!

Praise be to PK !!

Merry Christmas!

what... where... who did what?? Did that help?? What did I do?? not that I mind the praise :D but what worked??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back