FTP server behind a broadband router

• Thread starter sshenriksen
  • Start date
S

sshenriksen

Hi all. It has been a long time since I have been in here. I have a problem. I have a FTP server running. This has not had a problem until we got rid of 4 IP addresses and got a router on 1 IP address instead. I know I have to open a port on the router and make it point towards my internal IP, but I cant figure the stuff out about NAT'ing. I hope somebody can help me.

The router is SMC brand model number: SMC7004VBR V.2

This setup is in NAT under virtual server. The ... indicate where I have to make a choice.

Private IP:
192.168.2. ...

Private Port:

Type:
TCP/UDP ???

Public Port:

I hope this makes sence to somebody.

Thank you for helping.

Sune

maybe
TCP

see if that works

Yes, plus you should forward a range of ports for passive connections (standard in most FTP clients). Add a range of, say, 100 ports, say, 10000 - 10099. Then set the same range in the settings of you FTP server software. Most servers should have this option.

I have tried the port 21. But not the second thing with passive ports. How do I do that. Is it on the router or just in the FTP server. I was able to figure it out there, but can't find anything on the router.

By the way. thanks for the quick response. That's nice.

Sune

I found this: SMC
and this: BPFTP I think I get most of it, but I just have to find a tester. Then I shall return with the results. Thanks again.

I am getting some connection, so now it is to the fine tuning.

Sune

Don't forget to forward port 20 as well on your router for FTP, as well as 21. All the clients connecting with your server will now need to uncheck the PASV setting on their client FTP software. You can start changing ports altogether when you grow accustomed to having your server up and running first through the router. Nat'ing is needed on the client side connecting to your server.

Heeter

Heeter

The problem I have is this and the solutions doesn't help:

Q3 - My users can not list (425 Cannot open data connection (10060))
1) If you are behind a router / firewall check FAQ : BPFTP Server behind a router
2) If remote user is behind a firewall, tell him to switch his ftp client to passive (PASV) mode
3) Check that this user have right to list (+L) in user account / access rights
4) FTP Client is behind a NAT, you should see a list attempt with PORT 192,168... command or PORT , user should switch his ftp client to PASV (passive) mode.

Sorry about all that. I finally got it all to work. It made it easier when both run passiv or active instead of opposite.

Sune

Thanks for your help anyway.

Originally posted by Heeter
Don't forget to forward port 20 as well on your router for FTP, as well as 21. All the clients connecting with your server will now need to uncheck the PASV setting on their client FTP software. You can start changing ports altogether when you grow accustomed to having your server up and running first through the router. Nat'ing is needed on the client side connecting to your server.

- Port 20 is not needed for passive (PASV).
- If a client has NAT he must run in passive mode (unless he/she forwards an own range).

This is why setting up a server, it is best to make it passive compatible, i.e. to forward 21 plus a passive range of ports.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back