FTP server applications - your opinions?

ApparitionX

Sick of it all.
Hi all, I'm just wonderin which server applications most of you are currently using... over time I've gone through a few, bulletproof, WS_FTP Pro, etc, and recently i've been playin around with filezilla...which is ok, but I'm not really as impressed as I had hoped.
anyway, what's hot and what's not?...and why?

thanx.

I've used Serve-U and Bulletproof. Serve-U was a nice app, easy to use, Nice interface, lots of options and features although nothing that really stood out to me. I use Bulletproof now, I don't like the interface as much but there are 2 features that I do really like.

1. You don't have to order your directory permissions, the program looks at them all and decides the order automatically. Not a big deal I know, but when your changing permissions, creating accounts etc etc etc all the time it's just one less hassle to worry about. Serve-U on the other hand you had to put the permissions in the correct order, otherwise you could end up locking out or allowing people into stuff they weren't supposed to be.

2. You can create nameless accounts, so that if you have a group of people that need access then you can create 1 account for them and have one password for them and they can login in with any username you want. So if you have Jim, Bob, and Joe in accounting, you can create a log in so that each person can use his own name and the same password as the others. I guess it's kind of one of those features that either you use or you don't, but I have found it quite handy.

James

I've used Servu and WS_FTP and was not impressed with either.

I've spent most of the last 4 years using Bulletproof and have been relatively happy. My only complaint was that I can't assign multiple ftp directories at the same time.

The learning curve on Bulletproof is not obvious either but once you know the 2 or 3 steps it is easy to use.

I can't say that any server I've used has been just right, it's allwayssomething that's missing or that doesn't work. I've used Filezillaserver too, but it was a bit lacking in features.

i always use ws_ftp pro, works like a charm for me :D

pure-ftpd on FreeBSD or DragonFly BSD are your best bets :D or oif you want to be a die hard maniac solaris 10 for X86 :p

i use gene 6 ftp server, it works great. i think gene 6 turnedinto bulletproof a while ago, but i use the older version 'cause i likeit more.

LordOfLA said:
pure-ftpd on FreeBSD or DragonFly BSD are your best bets :D or oif you want to be a die hard maniac solaris 10 for X86 :p
Another vote for Pure-FTPd, its the best one I have used. Also tried Pro-FTPd, but that was more complicated to setup than Pure

VSFTPD on *nix. The Windows daemons are pretty much all the same ... only the features differ. I haven't used a Windows FTPD for a long time, but I remember using WarFTPD and it did it's job and I think it was one of the first ones out for Windows ... and oh yeah ... it's free.

Nothing like GuildFTPd IMHO. Simple, gives you all the functions you need, and free.
D.

I've used Gene6 which turned into Bulletproof which I use now. But I've also used EFTP or Encrypted FTP as it is sometimes refered to as. I've also heard RaidenFTPD is a good program.

If you want a free one that is pretty good. I'd go with EFTP

Serv-U works great for me, I've heard great things about Bulletproof as well.

I just set it to run as service about a year ago and left it. Occasionally add/modify users who have access via an admin panel I can call up. I imagine you can set most FTP server software up as a service and forget about it, this one was easy as pie.

Checked out some of the Free FTP services peeps are mentioning in this thread. They all look like good choices.

*nix: ProFTPD
Windows: There's no real good one but I've been loyal to Serv-U ever since it was developed back by CatSoft. Try to find an older 2.x version if you can, those are the best.

Zedric said:
I can't say that any server I've used has been just right, it's allwayssomething that's missing or that doesn't work.
my point exactly. lol
Zedric said:
I've used Filezillaserver too, but it was a bit lacking in features.
that's an understatement :p

LeeJend said:
I've spent most of the last 4 years using Bulletproof and have been relatively happy. My only complaint was that I can't assign multiple ftp directories at the same time.

The learning curve on Bulletproof is not obvious either but once you know the 2 or 3 steps it is easy to use.
cool, I'm checkin out the free demo of bulletproof now, so far I think it's a winner. :)

Henyman said:
i always use ws_ftp pro, works like a charm for me :)
yeah, me too, just kinda playin with diff apps for kicks.

LordOfLA said:
if you want to be a die hard maniac solaris 10
hahaha, nah, really aint that important. :p

Digdis said:
Nothing like GuildFTPd IMHO. Simple, gives you all the functions you need, and free.D.
how do you know what ALL the functions I need are??? :p
lol, jk. :) I'll prolly check it out too tho, screenshots look ok.

Johnny said:
never heard of it, but it looks pretty decent, think I'm gonna hafta give this one a try next.

So NOBODY uses CuteFTP?...I thought it was a bit more popular...I always thought it was pretty decent in general.

For *nix I would use what Redhat, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, ect. sites use ... vsftpd.

i've been using serv-u for several years now. it has everything i need and more. i highly recommend it.

ApparitionX said:
So NOBODY uses CuteFTP?...I thought it was a bit more popular...I always thought it was pretty decent in general.

I tried it on a couple of occasions. It lacked to many things and it was a pain in the *****. So I went back to either Raidenftpd or Serv-U ..

I use ProFTPd because I like the apache-style config file.

well, after playin around with almost every app mentioned, (alot of nice ones I might ad) think I'm gonna purchase bulletproof sometime soon here before the demo runs out. thnx for all the answers kids.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back