ftp question...

Go to your router settings and forward port 21/22 ... and set the passive mode stream. Then you should be able to connect.

why would I forward 22 when 22 is ssh?

ssh 22/tcp SSH Remote Login Protocol
ssh 22/udp SSH Remote Login Protocol

I was using FileZilla server originally and had success ftping to it from my unix shell account and from my local machine at the house...but no one else could get in. I decided to dump FileZilla and give Serv-U a try. Getting the same thing again. I can access it fine from my unix shell account and from my local machine at home using the dynamic DNS host name but no one else can get into it. I switched back to the standard ftp port and forwarded it to my local machine running the ftp server. I also forwarded ports 10000 - 10020 to the local machine and specified these ports in the Serv-U configuration. I am getting conflicted reports on whether or not port 20 needs to be forwarded or not. Some say it does while others say it doesn't. Another thing I realized...the port forwards are TCP...do the corresponding UDP ports need to be forwarded as well? I am grasping at straws here. My router is a D-Link 614+ if anyone has any experience with that particular router. If i ever get this working...I will write up a nice little tutorial and post it for future reference.

hmm.. you say you use dynamic DNS name from both your shell and home machine ... I wonder if maybe it could be a DNS problem at work? have you tried connecting w/ just your home ip? Sorry I'm running short on ideas :(

oh...it gets connected from here at work...logs in...but then gets that 425 error...and then when others try to hit it...they get the 425 error also...oh wells...thanks for your help...:)

I have the D-Link 704P router, so the setup should be as identical as it can be I guess. I have forwarded 21 and 1501-1600. It's works like a charm using passive and dynamic DNS. I use RaidenFTPD instead of Serv-U or FileZilla, but that shouldn't matter. This is seriously strange.

Port 20 isn't needed, port 22 definately isn't needed, UDP isn't needed, it's all TCP.

Yeah I would say the "problem" must surely be w/ your work network which unless your buddies w/ an admin you have very little chance of changing.

Originally posted by gballard
why would I forward 22 when 22 is ssh?

ssh 22/tcp SSH Remote Login Protocol
ssh 22/udp SSH Remote Login Protocol

That was a typo, I meant to say open 20/21 .. Most cases it won't work unless you do. Also I would check with the isp to see if 21 is blocked. A couple ISP's are doing that now ..

Also the best advice I could give is to dump dlink and get a linksys ... I am running a linksys now and in order to use the ftp on port 21 you have to have port 20 open also. To set the passive range up you have to open the ports you are using for it. So if it is port 21,000 to 21,025 you have to open those ports in the router also ..

well port 21 is obviously not blocked or I wouldn't be able to ftp in from my shell account

welp...I finally got my linux server going here and now I am running my ftp server off the linux box and all is well...:)

Originally posted by lechtard
Also the best advice I could give is to dump dlink and get a linksys ... I am running a linksys now and in order to use the ftp on port 21 you have to have port 20 open also.
Or keep the D-Link and skip port 20. ;) :p

gballard: Great! I suppose it was an FTP server setting then. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back