ftp help

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
hi,

i want to setup an ftp server that my friend can access to upload .wav files to my pc so we can record together from a distance. i downloaded filezilla server but when i try to have him get in he can't. i know the ftp address can't be the default one 127.0.0.1. i am behind a d-link router (DI-704). could that be the trouble, that and the incorrect IP.

help please?

thanks

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address:
In computing the term localhost refers to the location of the currently used system. It is a loopback device which is assigned the IP address 127.0.0.1 in IPv4, or ::1 in IPv6, which can be used by TCP/IP applications to talk to themselves if this is needed.
Try the link suggested above to get your external address.

well, i tried putting in the IP correctly but it is not working. i have now clue what to do with this. my knowledge on this is zero.

i just want to be able to transfer files to each others pc's without using an instant messenger or email. IM because i may not be home when the transer happens and email because the files are on average about 40megs.

any other ideas?

You will also have to login to your router and open the ports you ae using from the application.

If you have discovered your external IP address, you need to forward the port (21 by default) to listen on the address your machine is using.

For example:

Say your public, external IP is 54.83.21.111
And the IP of the machine internally running your FTP server is 192.168.1.100

You need to login to your router, forward port 21 to 192.168.1.100. What also may be a good idea is to set the IP statically to that machine, thus avoiding connectivity issues in the future.

Then have your friend connect to your FTP using 54.83.21.111

Should be all set :)

Another thing I just came across - Orbitfiles gives you 1GB of online storage for free :)

http://www.orbitfiles.com/

If you can't get the FTP to work, that may be a viable option as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back