FSB Question??

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have a question concerning FSB. My memory is DDR400, My mobo is DDR400, My CPU is a 2500+, shouldn't my POST be reading 200mghz instead of 166mghz? My bootup reads 166 mghz. What happens if I put it to 200mghz in my BIOS.

Thanks in advance

Heeter

No, the fastest AMD CPUs only operate on a double pumed 166MHz bus. There are no CPUs that run at a double pumped 200MHz bus as of yet, and I don't believe it will any time soon, the AMD XP line has pretty much reached its speed limit for the archatecture (sp).

The performance impact should be negligible, so don't worry about it. Its still a damn fast machine.

JJB

Actually there is, the new 3200+ run at a 400MHz FSB....

You can also try overclocking your CPU, my 2500+ does a 200 MHz easy....

Originally posted by JJB6486
No, the fastest AMD CPUs only operate on a double pumed 166MHz bus. There are no CPUs that run at a double pumped 200MHz bus as of yet, and I don't believe it will any time soon, the AMD XP line has pretty much reached its speed limit for the archatecture (sp).

The performance impact should be negligible, so don't worry about it. Its still a damn fast machine.

JJB
what about the xp3200 running at 400 fsb ?

but in this case the pc will boot ur chip at 166 as thats its fsb speed, the ram may have a setting to run it at 400fsb, mine does, it will still post at 166, but may show the memory running at ddr 400 speed (200) more often than not a performance gain is made by running ddr 400 ram at the same 333 bus as the chip, and changing the ram timings to there lowest value, as a ddr400 ram will only throttle down to the chips 333fsb, and not give you a performance increase.

:confused:

If I understand correctly, I should leave the POST/BIOS at 166mghz, because chances are that my DDR400 is running at 200 anyway. Is this correct?

Heeter

Okay, I just checked my BIOS and the frequency is set at "Auto". Shouldn't it be at 200?

Heeter

no worries, me mates a7n8x did that last week, until i told it, it was ddr 400

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back