Front USB ports

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Yo,
I've got a case similar to this and I haven't worked out how to plug these front USB ports into the motherboard. The cables themselves don't say much - see attached picture below (sorry about quality) - what I've labelled on the picture is all that is written on the cables. Can anyone help at all? Thanks.

USB plugs.jpg

what motherboard you got? Do you have the manual that came with it? Everytime I've had to hook up the front USB a diagram in the mobo manual showed how to do it.

Yharn said:
what motherboard you got? Do you have the manual that came with it? Everytime I've had to hook up the front USB a diagram in the mobo manual showed how to do it.

Motherboard is stated in my sig. Here's a diagram of the USB header on the motherboard. Beside from that, the manual tells me nothing else.

USB_Header.jpg

it looks to me like the USB header on the mobo is for 1 USB port and the USB cable from the case are for 4 ports, correct? If it were me I would try matching things as closely as possible and then just use trial and error until i could get it working. I don't know if there would be any possibility for damage to the mobo. Somebody else may be better help than I on this one.

Yharn said:
...it looks to me like the USB header on the mobo is for 1 USB port and the USB cable from the case are for 4 ports, correct?...

Actually, there are only 2 front USB ports, which is strange for so many wires. That's why I got confused. ;)

As for your suggestion, I don't really want to use trial and error because I heard you can damage your motherboard like that. So I just want to make sure before I try anything.

Ok... question... if I "were" to use trial and error to find out if the front ports worked or not... would it damage my motherboard?

yes...i ruined the usb sector on my server's mother board trying to do this...it started smoking due to crossed connections

DO NOT USE TRIAL AND ERROR

I could take an educated guess but that is all it would be, I would call your mobo tech support and talk to them to make sure that you get it right.

But my best foot forward would be this: USB1 cable would goto to data 0, with the red stripe on the data 0+ pin and the black on the data 0- pin. The V from that cable would goto the VCC just above the data 0 connection. (verticaly). USB 3 out connect to the front USB connector where the port is located.

USB 2 would connect to data 1 red stripe to the data 1+ and black to data 1- and the V would connect to the VCC above that sides data 1 connection.

Your GND connection would go horozontally accross on the GND pins, but not sure which side the red wire would go on. and I can't tell from the pic if that is a 2 or 4 pin connector.

That is my best guess, BUT I would highly recomend that you call the mobo support!!

(NOTE: I take no responsibility for any damage to anyones PC based on the advice in my post!!! USER BEWARE!!!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back