Front Side Bus Question On A P4.

P

psx2000

I just installed a p4 2.8 ghz proccessor on a asusp4s8x mobo.

Now when i run 3d mark it says my FRONT SIDE BUS is 133 shouldnt it be higher?

Or is 133 default?

Also it says my video card is running at 4x yet my bios says its running at 8x.

How do i make my FSB higher i notice other 3d mark scores have 166 fsb.

Is there a option i need to find to make my card run at 8x agp.

I just thought i add my score was 13000 but i wanna get a higher score and i think what is holding me back is some of those settings.

what video card. if you are running a 4600, it can not run at 8x, you mobo can say that the agp speed is 8x, but the max a 4600 can run is 4x. As for your cpu, 133 is correct, 533 is a multiplied front side bus.

The FSB is 533 ~= 4x133 MHz. So 133 is correct. BIOS will report the same (mine does anyway).

I am running a radeon 9700 pro.

Ok thanks for letting me know about the FSB.

I was worried cause i see other reports with 166 fsb.

Is there any tips on how far i can push my RADEON 9700 to OC it
?

I remmeber a link somewhere to a site where a guy overclocks his radeon and does other things to his computer to get a higher 3d mark 2001 score , does anyone remember this ?

13000 with a 2.8 ghz and a 9700 sounds kinda low to me. What kind of ram do you have?

actually with that setup you should easily be able to score at least 14000 or so without any overclocking... closer to even 15000 perhaps...

also install any biosupdates for your mobo to make sure that it registers the 9700pro as it should...

FYi.. the 8x does not really give a noticeable increase in performance :)

but its a nice feature to have..

editing to add some more info..

look for the radeonator or www.rage3d.com 's very own oc'ing tools for radeons... they are very nice... but make sure you don't blow your card up trying for a better score...

perhaps you just need to tweak a few settings in your system... coz that is a very low score...

what speed is 3dmark registering your cpu as ?

I'm not sure but does that mobo he have support a 533mhz fsb?

8x AGP just plain doesn't work with Radeon 9700's yet...

the claim it works but it has problems that still need to be ironed out... go find a bios update from ATi or ur board manufacturer

its a VERY new Asus board... it handles 533mhz fine.

Hmm I doubt "hardcore thugs" know how to overclock their computers..

ok was reading up on the situation with agp 8x...

with SiS and VIA chipset... dunno bout intel's own chipsets but I presume similar problems.. there are issues with the agp 8x working with the ati 9700pro...

it is not ati's fault nor is it the board makers fault... the blame is evenly spread between the lot of them I guess... also the 9700pro appears to bench higher with ddr 333 than ddr400 per the benches... but thats open to discussion...

the conclusion is you WILL probably bench lower with the agp 8x standard than with a regular 4x standard... bios may/may not fix it as it is more a hardware prob on the mobo's...

RMA anyone ?

ok ok.. on a bright note... check out the technical support at www.rage3d.com for the 9700pro for agp 8x and you will see various examples of bios settings and what not in order to get the thing to work right...

the problems people face with agp 8x is not universal as far as I can tell and you should be able to tweak your way around it..

:)

g.luck mate...

Posted by Back Up
i think it's overcooling not overclocking.:cool:
no that was extreme overclocking... highest legitimate 3dmark score to date of 21,504... thanks to dry-ice cooling.

any tutorials online to show how to get higher scores on 3d mark 2001?

I still get 13000 max with my

P4 2.8 ghz
3 sticks of kingston 512 mb ddr 333 memory
Ultra 100 8 meg 120 gb Hard drive.

I have edied my registry and turned off themes, and all the services i dont need and i still score around 13,000.

I see other scores at 15,000 etc.

Any tips out there guys?

Hi psx,
there is a good tutorial here on how to get the best 3dmark2k1 score. It goes pretty deep but its probably the best tutorial out there me thinks.
Good luck with tweakin and overclocking your comp as far as it will go. :cool:
Jumpy

Posted by jumpy
Hi psx,
there is a good tutorial here on how to get the best 3dmark2k1 score. It goes pretty deep but its probably the best tutorial out there me thinks.
Good luck with tweakin and overclocking your comp as far as it will go. :cool:
Jumpy

thanks i been hunting for that , for the longest time.

Much appreciated.

Sorry for a back to back post.

But i had another technical question.

I overclocked my 2.8 ghz to run at 3ghz.

Now everything runs stable and my 3d mark scroes are now around 14000.

Next step is to oc my radeon 9700.

Now here is where my question comes into play.

When doing 3d mark scores do u set the open gl and direct 3-d slider to?

QUALITY OR PERFORMANCE?

setting directx to 'performance' will get you maybe 200 or 300 more points. at least that's the case with nvidia's drivers. experiment with different slider positions and see if it really does offer performance.

the opengl settings won't affect 3dmark at all... it's a directx benchmark. also, just hope you know that you only need to do the first 4 game tests to get a 3dmark score. you don't have to run the whole thing every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back